MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

One Child's Courage to Survive

by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It

Oct 1999, 184 pages
    Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 265 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Prosper Maniema Mpongo (12/22/10)

A child called it
This book clearly demonstrates on how lucky this poor boy is to endure all the tortures from his own biological parent and survived them and moved on to his adult life and make it better in order to become a grown man indeed!

This book has brought both side of the boy's life coin: the saddest of the child life and his heroic survivor experiences as he grew up!

What a traumatic life experience that he's to live through at the cost of his childhood!
Reasons why I recommend to all parents to read this book not alone but to share the author ideas w/their families and especially their kids! Mom and dad plse take time to read this book to your kids or grand children!
max mcpherson (12/20/10)

A Child Called "It"
I read this book for my English class and it petrified me. It was very sad and in ways depressing, but I highly recommend this book to any teenager who is looking for something to read. This book moved me in a way that I have never been moved before. The book is horrifying mostly because its a true story.
buttercup (12/13/10)

The best book written in centuries, but poor child; I will never forget such a sad story. absolutely amazing. I really recomend it.
harpreet (12/11/10)

This book is so sad and I cried. The mother is so evil; how could she do this to her own son? It was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading it. I can't even imagine the pain David went through. It was the best book ever!!!
skylarjohnson (12/09/10)

good but sad
As I read the book I cried so much it wasn't even funny. I had my aunt read she couldn't even finish reading it.
jess (12/07/10)

So sad
I want to just say I read all the book crying on every page. How could someone possibly feel that way towards her own child and be so evil? She is a disgusting woman and should have payed for what she did to David. I can't even imagine the pain and torture he went through. He must have to live through this nightmare his whole life.
frances (12/01/10)

the best
This book really touched me. It was very sad. It made me cry while reading the book because I once saw my sister reading the book and I loved it. I would like everyone to know if you read this book, refer the book to others, so that this story could be heard
mm (11/28/10)

My feelings toward this book.
Wow, this is an very emotional life for a boy. When I picked up this book it was hard to put down. I felt emotional sorrow for him (David). In this book it talked about his mother and him, beating him. At times I wonder why his mother hurt him, what did he do?

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun