MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

One Child's Courage to Survive

by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It

Oct 1999, 184 pages
    Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 265 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Prosper Maniema Mpongo (12/22/10)

A child called it
This book clearly demonstrates on how lucky this poor boy is to endure all the tortures from his own biological parent and survived them and moved on to his adult life and make it better in order to become a grown man indeed!

This book has brought both side of the boy's life coin: the saddest of the child life and his heroic survivor experiences as he grew up!

What a traumatic life experience that he's to live through at the cost of his childhood!
Reasons why I recommend to all parents to read this book not alone but to share the author ideas w/their families and especially their kids! Mom and dad plse take time to read this book to your kids or grand children!
max mcpherson (12/20/10)

A Child Called "It"
I read this book for my English class and it petrified me. It was very sad and in ways depressing, but I highly recommend this book to any teenager who is looking for something to read. This book moved me in a way that I have never been moved before. The book is horrifying mostly because its a true story.
buttercup (12/13/10)

The best book written in centuries, but poor child; I will never forget such a sad story. absolutely amazing. I really recomend it.
harpreet (12/11/10)

This book is so sad and I cried. The mother is so evil; how could she do this to her own son? It was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading it. I can't even imagine the pain David went through. It was the best book ever!!!
skylarjohnson (12/09/10)

good but sad
As I read the book I cried so much it wasn't even funny. I had my aunt read she couldn't even finish reading it.
jess (12/07/10)

So sad
I want to just say I read all the book crying on every page. How could someone possibly feel that way towards her own child and be so evil? She is a disgusting woman and should have payed for what she did to David. I can't even imagine the pain and torture he went through. He must have to live through this nightmare his whole life.
frances (12/01/10)

the best
This book really touched me. It was very sad. It made me cry while reading the book because I once saw my sister reading the book and I loved it. I would like everyone to know if you read this book, refer the book to others, so that this story could be heard
mm (11/28/10)

My feelings toward this book.
Wow, this is an very emotional life for a boy. When I picked up this book it was hard to put down. I felt emotional sorrow for him (David). In this book it talked about his mother and him, beating him. At times I wonder why his mother hurt him, what did he do?

• Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q