Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

One Child's Courage to Survive

by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

Oct 1999, 184 pages
    Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 269 reader reviews for A Child Called It

MARIA L. CANO (05/06/10)

A child called It
This has been the most greatest book of all time. I have never loved a book so much like this one. It let me realize that no matter how kids are they will always be kids and no one has the right to mistreat them. I cried and cried throughout the book. I recommended a lot, I could say I am not much of a reader but this is a great book. Bless your heart for telling us your story. Because of this I never hit my kids. I do put them in time out but I don't believe in miss treating them.;

Jessica Wright (04/22/10)

Love of Christ
Just finished both books - "A Child Called "It" and "The Lost boy". Couldn't put them down.

How wonderful that David not only survived but became such a wonderful. caring person.

The thing that touched me most was that no matter how badly he was treated by mother or father, he always forgave them and craved their love. Talk about having the "love of Christ", he certainly does.
elizabeth hendricks (04/20/10)

what i think
This book is emotional and really good get allows the reader to fully grasp the real world of abuse. the author did endure a lot in his childhood but overcame abuse to become a leader and activist of child abuse.
Shaquana Ambroise (04/06/10)

A Child Called It
I am 17 and I read A Child Called It for my Psychology class. My mom had already read the book and told me how sad it was so I had thought I was prepared. Truth is nothing can prepare you for the happenings in this book. It's astounding to think that these things actually happened. I have the utmost respect for Dave Pelzer for getting through this and having the courage to put his story out there.
airhead (03/09/10)

as read
I'm 13 and I read this book and afterwards I felt guilty, and glad because I'm feeling guilty because how bad he had it and how good I have it and I am glad because I have the best life I could imagine and he didn't have that.. Dave go on writing more books..
Taylor (03/05/10)

child abuse
I think that child abuse can come to killing a child and that child abuse is more than bruises and broken bones. Abuse is one type of child abuse. Kids all over the world is getting abused by other people and family.
Christelle Bastien (02/28/10)

A Child Called It
I think this story is a great story and a sad story because Dave Pelzer is beaten and starved by his mother who is an alcoholic. She played dangerous games with her son and he had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive. Also, I think this is not fair because no one should be treated like a slave by their very own mother. His mother also made him sleep in the basement on an old army cot and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When he grew up, he became a leader, not an alcoholic like his mother otherwise, but he learned not to make the same mistakes that his mother made when he was a child.
Nelly (02/16/10)

Truth
I don't often read books about child abuse, until my older brother suggested I read this book. And now that I have read it, it made me realize how fortunate some of us are. Yet, we take it for granted. This book took my emotions to a whole new level. It was very detailed out to put the reader in his position, and the way felt. I know this wasn't the easiest thing to write for him, but I would like to thank him. I guess you can say he is right, No matter what you mother does or say, she'll always be your mom. And you love her no matter what happens.

• Book Jacket: If We Were Villains

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R