Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

One Child's Courage to Survive

by Dave Pelzer

Oct 1999, 184 pages
    Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 265 reader reviews for A Child Called It

maddy (03/06/11)

uuugggghhhh
I think this book is really good but really sad if I ever saw a mother like that I would freak...!!!
jamin (03/05/11)

great
This book is so sad. I am in love with it.
Vanasa (02/22/11)

Wow.
I loved this book. It is an amazing great book. It is a sad story but the ending is great. Thank You Dave Pelzer.
Erna Orbita (02/19/11)

A child Called 'It'
I love this book.... Because this little boy courage to survive. And he didn't spread their families' secret in order to protect his mother who played a bad game to him....
Ivone Widle (02/11/11)

Ivone Widle
I love this book!!! I can't believe that this little boy had to go through so much. The story is so sad, but I love the happy ending. He became someone who has a great future as a writer and a great advocate against child abuse.
Madison Mast (02/08/11)

Wow
This book is amazing, inspiring, yet very sad. I read books that I can feel what the characters in the book are feeling. When I read this book I had mixed emotions, sad, happy, excited, angry and anxious. A Child called It is about a small boy name Dave. He is abused by his mother. She made his life miserable. I like this book because it shows you just what it was like for him. Dave was the only one abused and he had it bad. His mother made him wear the same old holey clothes to school everyday, she never even washed them. If you like thrilling books that can make you cry and still be happy this is the book for you! I really encourage you to read this! :)
cutecutepixie (02/05/11)

A Boy Called It
This book is the saddest book ever it is about a brave young boy.His mother started abusing him at the age of 3. She burned him in the stove and made him say i'm a bad boy. She made him sit in the bath tub nude with cold water on and made him eat his brothers diapers. His mother drank a lot , his father tried to stop the abuse but he couldn't do anything about it. She didn't feed him and if he stole food she would make him vomit at the end of the day and if he did eat she would make him eat his own vomit. She would stab him and not take him to the hospital. He was the only one abused. I even cried when I read this book
Donatella Acosta (01/09/11)

A Child Called It
A Child Called It is heartwarming yet unforgettable. It keeps you guessing. It’s known as one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. This book is about a young boy and his struggle to stay alive. During his young years, he had to learn how to play along with his mother's games in order to live. His mother was an unstable, alcoholic, and abusive woman, who took her anger out on her son. She treated him just like a slave, not a son; and an “it”, not a boy.
   What happens when the only hero you have is your dad, and he leaves? What happens when your mother doesn’t even bother to feed you? What do you do when you have to wear the same ripped clothes everyday, when your brothers get new clothes? What would you do if your brothers were treated with care, and you were abused? What happens when the school nurse checks your body and see’s cuts, bruises, and bite marks? What are you suppose to tell her? What do you do when you can’t tell anyone what’s happening to you?
   What would you do in those situations? Would you tell someone? In this case, he couldn’t tell anyone. If he did, his mother would abuse him more than he was already abused. Those terrifying questions were part of one little boys threatening life. It ends with his heroic survivor experiences as he grew up. This book would be perfect for anyone, once you read it you won’t forget it.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All