Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Janet Rendall (02/13/15)

The Glass Castle
I selected this book of my book group because we can all relate at some level with a dysfunctional family. This family coped against incredible odds with humor, love and fortitude. If only all families had that level of intellect and emotional strength.
Monica Kuolt (07/30/14)

Experiences
In this touching book, Glass Castle, written by Jeannette Walls, exposes her true life by the lessons, adventures, and experiences that has brought on her and her family emotionally but also rewarding. The book starts out with mid 30’s Jeannette Walls in New York City sitting in a taxi through traffic. As she waits to go to one of her expensive, nice party, she looks at a homeless woman. She notices that it is her mother and can’t believe it is her. Her reaction was to hide herself so no one could know that they could actually be related. Her battles with accepting her mother being homeless is because her whole life was just moving around, no money, no structure in the family and struggles that came between them. While growing up in her uncontrolled environment, constant hardships and realities made her want more meaning in her life. From all of this, she has become a successful, stable, hardworking and intelligent writer.
Sally (07/30/14)

The Glass Castle Book Review
In this most touching and compelling novel of all times, author Jeanette Walls who is the main character of the story unveils her root growing up in an extremely dysfunctional family of 4 children headed by a drunk and irresponsible father and married to a lazy and neglectful mother. The Walls family, not having a permanent place to stay all their life and has to dig food from trash to survive has made it through day by day with little or no resources at all. While the delinquent parents, who have no guilt conscience, constantly make selfish and unreasonable decision for the family, the children suffer from extreme humiliation in school and in the community.

Amazingly, in spite of all these, their love and loyalty to each other in the midst of the hardship kept them close and instead, developed their characters filled with hope and determination to make it better on their own. Jeanette, with her brother and 2 sisters successfully made it in New York and was able to enjoy the life that they deserve while their parents followed but continued to choose to be homeless.

This book is very inspiring and highly recommendable for all people in all ages. After reading this book, I don’t feel like complaining for every little thing I don’t have and I can’t do. I feel so blessed and grateful for everything I have and my ability to do things. I learned that nothing is impossible with God by my side. I can be the person I want to be, and with full determination, I can do anything & everything I want to achieve my goals in life.
deborah (07/22/13)

Dialogue not believable
I am a quarter of the way through and already find the book not believable. The level of dialogue for a 3 year old is silly. It is much too sophisticated and much too advanced. Furthermore, nobody remembers their 3 year old self in such detail. She has really elevated her 'maturity' in this book to carry on dialogue and make observations about life that are very adult-like. The book is a turn-off. I will read it as a dramatization- but certainly not as a full memoir.
hillary_marie (11/16/12)

The Glass Castle
As I was reading this deeply sad book, I kept wondering to myself, could anything else really happen to this family. It is a true story full of shocking, sometimes disturbing, scenes of the life of a little girl and her interesting family. I personally think the book was somewhat hard to finish, but nonetheless, still a good book because of the shock factor.
Bebemangzu (08/08/12)

It's a book worth reading and recommending to others!
She's a really good writer. Her choice of words and ways of descriptions that tell of her experience growing up stirred me to keep reading. At times, I found myself angry at her parents, sad and happy about the things that she endured, laughing at how creative she is, and altogether, thinking about my own life.
Courtney Craig (07/27/12)

Undescribable
Some stir hearts with pictures.
Some with dance.
Some with song.
And some can move your entire being,
creep into the very crevices of your soul,
with words.

Jeannette Walls did just that. The Glass Castle will be a work of art, a bold statement of raw life, that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

In other words, I bawled like a baby.
Power Reviewer bobbie d (06/14/12)

It's Real
Our book club really liked this book. Couldn't believe that it is a true story! But I guess no one could make this up. This is one of the craziest disfunctional families ever. The father had dreams that would never happen, hence, The Glass Castle. When money became available, they found ways to waste it! All through the book, I kept thinking that this was fiction! The author is the daughter! She survived!

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko
    The Bones of Grace
    by Tahmima Anam

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

Underground Airlines