Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Jessica K (11/29/10)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls was an unbelievably heartfelt novel that people of all ages can relate to. Jeannette Walls tells the true story of her turbulent life. The book begins at the age of three, where she is living with her family in a trailer in Arizona. After cooking hot dogs by her self one afternoon she becomes hospitalized for severe burns. Shortly after that her father, Rex walls, shows up and tells her they are going to do the old ske daddle. They just leave the hospital without a moments notice and from then on her life is a blur from one city to the next. Las Vegas, San Francisco, and many other small desert cities. Her mother is a free spirited woman who lives through her paintings. The oldest child is Lori, smart and determined. The second being Jeannette, always the hard worker. The third is Brian, adventurous and in love with the outer realms of the Earth. The youngest sister is Maureen, some what detached and far from the rest of the family. Throughout Jeannette's childhood her father tells them stories of the Glass Castle in which he is going to one day build. This infamous castle is to be their future home. However tall his tales are it is without a doubt that the family is tightly woven together through the things that set them apart from everyone else. This is a true story of a family struggling to survive. Whether it be food in their bellies or a steady job for their father. Its compassionate, bitter, sad, elevating and even horribly surprising. This story of love and terror will stick with you until well after the last page is turned. It is a book to be remembered and to be reflected upon. Something so delicate its readers will not know whether to shed a tear or a smile.
C Y (11/24/10)

THE GLASS CASTLE
Laughed often, cried some, gained knowledge on others - their way of thinking - and gave strength to my own weakness. Please make a movie on this amazing book!
Pia (11/21/10)

Best Book
If I could rate this book any higher I would. it was an awesome book and I will be reading all of the other books she wrote!!! This is coming from someone who loves to read. This was probably the best book I have ever read.
jane moates (10/23/10)

mindblowing
Her ability to put a story to descriptive word is amazing. Having a similar desperation upbringing and picking myself up by the bootstraps I can relate all ways. I could not put this book down, Pay close attention to the moronic details of how her life could have been. Riveting.
Ryan (10/13/10)

Awesome
I read this book twice now and I loved it, I love how she just says it like it is, I only wish she would make a movie out of it to go with the book.
Barbara Roberts (09/26/10)

A gentle persuasion
Wall's book shocked me; most of us may have chosen to keep such a shabby upbringing a secret, if we felt embarrassed or shamed by a parent's abysmal skills. I put myself in her place and confess a deeply held reluctance to shame a parent by such an honest disclosure. But different strokes. Walls has not only provided us a compelling story of resilient, tough, gutsy kids thriving IN SPITE OF haphazard parenting, she has also given us sharply drawn characterizations of a man and woman unsuited to parenting who transcend logic and produce this talented, grounded child grown into a delightful and successful artist. It makes me think of the innate 'wisdom' of so-called dumb animals. It also makes me think there is a divine planner making divine plans for each of us.
Kountz (09/02/10)

I Share this castle
I just finished reading this book and I can tell you that its a great story. Beautiful descriptions of events and people. I identify with this story a lot and recommend this book to my son who is 13 and so far he likes it and has a hard time putting it down.
Bruce L. Beck (09/01/10)

The Glass Castle
Ms Walls is a wonderful writer. Her descriptions of things and people are wonderful. This is the best book I have read all year... I found it interesting that she refers to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in that she has a similar writing style. I hope that it is made into a movie---a "Sundance" type of movie that is true to the book

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review