Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 174 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

sandra (12/02/10)

glass castle
I just finished this book and I could not put it down. It is a must read for anyone who needs encouragement to go on. I loved it!
Jessica K (11/29/10)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls was an unbelievably heartfelt novel that people of all ages can relate to. Jeannette Walls tells the true story of her turbulent life. The book begins at the age of three, where she is living with her family in a trailer in Arizona. After cooking hot dogs by her self one afternoon she becomes hospitalized for severe burns. Shortly after that her father, Rex walls, shows up and tells her they are going to do the old ske daddle. They just leave the hospital without a moments notice and from then on her life is a blur from one city to the next. Las Vegas, San Francisco, and many other small desert cities. Her mother is a free spirited woman who lives through her paintings. The oldest child is Lori, smart and determined. The second being Jeannette, always the hard worker. The third is Brian, adventurous and in love with the outer realms of the Earth. The youngest sister is Maureen, some what detached and far from the rest of the family. Throughout Jeannette's childhood her father tells them stories of the Glass Castle in which he is going to one day build. This infamous castle is to be their future home. However tall his tales are it is without a doubt that the family is tightly woven together through the things that set them apart from everyone else. This is a true story of a family struggling to survive. Whether it be food in their bellies or a steady job for their father. Its compassionate, bitter, sad, elevating and even horribly surprising. This story of love and terror will stick with you until well after the last page is turned. It is a book to be remembered and to be reflected upon. Something so delicate its readers will not know whether to shed a tear or a smile.
C Y (11/24/10)

THE GLASS CASTLE
Laughed often, cried some, gained knowledge on others - their way of thinking - and gave strength to my own weakness. Please make a movie on this amazing book!
Pia (11/21/10)

Best Book
If I could rate this book any higher I would. it was an awesome book and I will be reading all of the other books she wrote!!! This is coming from someone who loves to read. This was probably the best book I have ever read.
jane moates (10/23/10)

mindblowing
Her ability to put a story to descriptive word is amazing. Having a similar desperation upbringing and picking myself up by the bootstraps I can relate all ways. I could not put this book down, Pay close attention to the moronic details of how her life could have been. Riveting.
Ryan (10/13/10)

Awesome
I read this book twice now and I loved it, I love how she just says it like it is, I only wish she would make a movie out of it to go with the book.
Barbara Roberts (09/26/10)

A gentle persuasion
Wall's book shocked me; most of us may have chosen to keep such a shabby upbringing a secret, if we felt embarrassed or shamed by a parent's abysmal skills. I put myself in her place and confess a deeply held reluctance to shame a parent by such an honest disclosure. But different strokes. Walls has not only provided us a compelling story of resilient, tough, gutsy kids thriving IN SPITE OF haphazard parenting, she has also given us sharply drawn characterizations of a man and woman unsuited to parenting who transcend logic and produce this talented, grounded child grown into a delightful and successful artist. It makes me think of the innate 'wisdom' of so-called dumb animals. It also makes me think there is a divine planner making divine plans for each of us.
Kountz (09/02/10)

I Share this castle
I just finished reading this book and I can tell you that its a great story. Beautiful descriptions of events and people. I identify with this story a lot and recommend this book to my son who is 13 and so far he likes it and has a hard time putting it down.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund