MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

meagan (11/09/09)

The Good and Bad
I found myself constantly wanting to read more during The Glass Castle. It was interesting and definitely kept my attention the entire time. But at the end, I was forced to ask myself the question, "Was I only reading because I wanted something good to happen?"
The entire book you'll find yourself wanting something good to happen to the kids. You just have to wait through all the bad stuff ad finally at the end, you see that something good does come out of the story.
Even when something good happens to the kids, (like saving up money for a trip to New York), you can just anticipate that something terrible is going to happen; like the father taking their money.
It's a very sad book, probably not for the soft hearted. But in the end, you'll feel very inspired and feel grateful for the life you have, no matter the circumstances.
jeane (11/03/09)

Couldn't put down
I thought this book was an excellent read. I have worked with abused ,neglected children,who still love their parents & will defend them. I am disappointed by the readers who don't believe parts of this story. Have you ever been to a "holler" in W Va or Ky? She painted an accurate picture & ,sadly I found it to be very believable. Good for her!
KP (10/18/09)

Give me a BREAK!
I'm sorry, but there is NO way this book is a memoir! I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and am only finishing it because I'm so far into it. The stories, while vivid and incredible are too insane to believe. Making her own braces? C'mom!

I think the thing that makes it difficult for me to believe is the fact that any of those children are SANE! And she is a wealthy writer. The kind of abuse/neglect she supposedly endured is the very thing that serial killers are made from.

I look for someone to expose this as an embellishment (like A Million Little Pieces). It is just too hard to believe!
taylor (10/07/09)

AMAZING
I had to read this memoir for my English class , and I loved it. I couldn't believe how, even though the Walls' parents didn't take care of their children, it made them the more independent and the more aware of this world. Jeanette Walls is a survivor.
Amazing book .
Elisia P. (10/02/09)

This is one of the best books i have read!
This book is full of despair, sadness, and troubles. It made me sorrowful to think that people could survive in the harsh conditions the way Jeanette and her siblings did. It is beautifully written and tells her darkest memories with nothing held back. From this point on I will always think of Jeanette Walls as a inspiration for telling her story.

This is a really great book!!!!!
Susi J (08/31/09)

The Glass Castle
Walls story was tremendously moving, her innocent love for her parents was joyful and tragic. Her awakening to the truth that she had to let her parents be who they are and the courage to let herself be who she needed to be. Excellent. I could not put it down
Zuzu (08/06/09)

Didn't Like It
I recently read this book as part of my pre-college "required reading." My final words? AWFUL. Sorry folks, but if you're looking for an uplifiting, inspiring read, this book is NOT it. I was disappointed and angered as I read about the horrid refusal of Walls' parents to comfort and provide for their children.

I will grant that Walls is certainly a good writer. She has the ability to infuse her account with chilling detail. However, my question is: What good does it do us to read her story? Yes, she may have learned some valuable lessons from her traumatic life...but at what cost?

Though it certainly doesn't hold any punches on the nitty-gritty-ness of Walls' life, The Glass Castle seems to subtly hold up such a life as ironically admirable...as if surviving these things (and subsequently writing about them) is ultimately glamorous. News flash for Walls: It isn't.
Honors Student (08/04/09)

Not a great book.
The book was way too repetitive. Yes, her parents sucked, yes, her life was bad. A lot of people have bad lives. I understand that her father is an alcoholic and she could only rely on her brother and sisters and she's probably scarred for life but things turned out well for her in the end. Here's a secret... it's okay not to always have blind faith in your father. Fathers aren't superheroes, they're human like anybody else. I had to annotate this book for class and honestly, I didn't annotate much because you could see everything coming or it was typical. Only read this book if you like hearing the same things page after page after page.

• Book Jacket: The North Water
    The North Water
    by Ian McGuire
    In early 1859 the crew of the Volunteer, a Greenland-bound whaler, is making the most of the last ...
  • Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...

The Children
    by Ann Leary

With remarkable wit and insight, Ann Leary pulls back the curtain on one blended family.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun