Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls X
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 174 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Christine C. (03/12/09)

Love this book. Read in 2006. Can still open Glass Castle on any page and its like the first time.
Bev Manzer (02/19/09)

Hi, I just started reading 'Firebird' and am enjoying it very much, however, I am surprised at how many grammatical errors there are. I am a retired English teacher and my eyes just seem to go to misspelled words, grammatical errors and the like.
Glenys Tilley (02/19/09)

An amazing story
Jeannette Walls The Glass Castle, is incredulous and deeply touching. Her non-judgmental narrative protects the reader from what would be an devastatingly emotional roller coaster ride- perpetuating the view that good and bad co-exist in the human experience. It's a book that stays with you, long after the final word.
Kim T. (02/11/09)

The Glass Castle
As an avid reader, I always finish a book if I read past page 25. Unfortunately, I read past 25. This seem much like, Frey and Stephen Glass, great story tellers with great imaginations and the lack of integrity to pass off embellished work as non-fiction.
Britvix (02/07/09)

Before I start I should inform you that I am not one for reading books quickly. I have a hard time getting into plots and it usually takes me about a month to finish a book. However, after hearing great things about The Glass Castle, I thought that I would have it read within a few days. Unfortunately, it has been sitting on my bedside table for nearly a month with about 6 pages being read at a time.
Now, this isn't to say that it isn't a good book - because it is. It is a great portrayal of real life and it shows the complexities of families. The reader ends up liking each of the characters for their own strengths and weaknesses, even though the life choices that they make are different from what I have ever experienced or from what i would ever put my own kids through.
This being said, what lacked for me was movement. I think that the beginning was great and the end was great but the middle seemed slow. I wish more would have been spent on the experiences Jeannette had in New York.
Overall, if you want a decent read, I would read The Glass Castle.
marilyn kruse (02/01/09)

new insight
I admit I read books basically to see how characters or people endure or adapt in this world. And what I've found is that most of us can survive much tougher odds than we thought we could, much more pain and discomfort. And I laugh at myself and all the middle class parents breaking their necks to give their kids everything. These kids suffered tremendously, it was obvious. Yet they were given many gifts along the way, and developed the greatest resourcefulness as a result.And my husband's and my own experience working in jobs we hated to pay the mortgage makes me understand the parents' choices a little better. What, really, did we give our kids but material comforts and unhappy parents.
bookreader (01/26/09)

The Glass Castle
This was one of the best books that I have ever read. It was hard to put down once I started reading it. I work in social services and it gave me a whole new outlook on life, and the patients that I deal with.
Holly (01/21/09)

Easy read, inspiring story of overcoming adversity
I was amazed at the level of details the author had from her childhood and how she gave us just enough without going overboard on her descriptions of she and her siblings neglectful upbringing. You will pull for them to escape yet laugh with them as they make the best of their situation and teach us all a lesson in honoring our parents. Excellent read.

• Book Jacket: Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions
    The Girls in the Picture
    by Melanie Benjamin

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Sometimes I Lie