MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Hanna Carol, author of A Box of Chocolates-Thoughts on Parenting (05/01/10)

An Honest Story
I found strength and a way to look everything in a very different perspective as I was reading this book. So blessed by the writer's honesty.
Jena (03/28/10)

I loved it
I just read this book and it was very very good. I just couldn't believe that after a childhood like this Jeannette could become so successful.
kuddy_patt14 (03/25/10)

an amazing journey
It is almost impossible that a person with a childhood as yours could had the guts to see from the top of the problems... I'm impressed and ashamed for complaining about things that are not even comparable to what you lived. From the beginning to the end it captured my attention the way you see things from the perspective of the positive side, never letting go your spirit and hoping... always hoping.
I personally passed something similar with my family and it is a hard thing to go through but...well done Jenny this is an achievement personal and professional that deserves the recognition of the world.... keep writing. By the way Brian is such a grown up from the beginning that I respect him even more.
Emily (03/02/10)

GREAT BOOK
This book is very detailed and remarkable.
sharonite (01/31/10)

makes you think
This book is special. It is showing a world that many are not familiar with, a first hand account of what it is really like to live and grow as "white trash". One of the things that emerge is that there is no black and white - as the mother says, no one is completely evil and that much of what happens is one's own decision and will.
The parents, who are horrible most of the time, have some qualities that are admirable. The star giving story, when the father sits down with each child and lets them chose their own star- is parenting at its best. The scene of everyone reading together with the dictionary in the middle, is a great family moment. And it is clear, that even after all the horribly, irresponsible, selfish things that the parents do, the kids still love them.
The truth is that the kids took care of each other, and the one child that fell through the cracks is Maureen, the one that lived out of the house, in friends houses, probably in better environment but without the family support.
It made me think about poverty and types of poverty, and what society can or cannot do. I would highly recommend it to young people/teenagers. I think it brings home the notion of adventure/responsibility and outcome.
WI Book Club Girl (01/13/10)

Disappointed
I was disappointed that this book did not seem to go beyond the point that some kids have incredibly rough childhoods and some actually can end up rising above it. Common theme, written admirably and notably by many well known, and highly esteemed authors - of which category I would not include this author. Like other reviewers, I question the embellishment of this author's tale and fail to the see the literary value or intimacy in her writing of it.
Student (01/06/10)

Confusing
This book is very confusing and have to write a page about 40 pages in the book each night.
lorena ruvalcaba (12/05/09)

the glass castle
The Glass Castle is an eye opener. It helps you realize that we have so many things in life that we don't appreciate. If you look around you there are so many objects that we do not realize that are actually there. Or maybe we do realize they are there but do not appreciate them. In this book Jeanette tells her life story & what she had through live through. Most of us had it easy as children but her life story is completely different. I am proud to say this book opened my eyes and helps me appreciate life and everything that surrounds me. I would like to thank Jeanette for writing this book, and I hope that The Glass Gastle opened your eyes as much as it did for me. I give this book 5 stars

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T