MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

LOREDA (07/23/10)

Good honest reading
Many of us do not realize that people live like that.
It proves any of us can pull our selves up from any condition. A wonderful book.
Monica Coronado (07/07/10)

THE GLASS CASTLE
WOW is all i can really say about this book. Everything about it was amazing, although her life was rough she made it through and i love her for that. She is clearly wonderful and i can relate to her in some of her situations.
hey123 (06/24/10)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle is the story of the authors childhood. She includes details about the whole family. The parents Rex and Rosemary both have many problems. The dad is an alcoholic and the mom doesn't seem like she is all there. The family goes through very difficult times. The kids have to take care of themselves and seem to be what holds the family together. It was a very good book which I looked forward to reading every time I picked it up. Recommend it to everyone.
George (06/15/10)

Guess speaker
Jeannette was the quest speaker at the Milton Hershey School graduation on June 12, 2010. She was interesting and funny at first, then she started to go on and on. The parents and students were starting to fall asleep, and someone called out," Come on". She paused for a second and continued, then the audience started to clap every few minutes. She didn't get the hint, finally the whole graduating class stood and clapped till she stop talking and sat down. She is so brain dead, she still doesn't realize, everyone wanted her to stop talking. Lesson for the lady. A speech has a interesting beginning, a thoughtful ending, and a short space in between. The book is just another look how good I am, been done before.
Cristie (05/28/10)

Ive never been moved like this!
When I first was introduced to this book, to be honest I was just bored at work and needed something to read, The very first page I was sucked in, I never have cried, laughed, was angry and bitter everything I felt Jeannette and her siblings should have felt, Jeannette was always so strong and a leader and I was so proud of her success. I would recommend this book to everyone
amina. (05/27/10)

the glass castle
I had the option of reading this book for my English class for and independent novel study and I am so glad that I chose it because it is amazing! You forget that you are actually reading a book about someone's life. It is absolutely memorizing and breath taking-ly captivating. I simply loved it and could not put it down ! I would recommend this book to anyone in a heart beat.
JaneN (05/23/10)

What a life
With parents like Jeannette had, it's a wonder that she, and her siblings, survived. Her parents, one one side, are feckless, self absorbed, mean-spirited, and on the other hand hopeless romantics ! The amazing part is that she turned out as successful, both personally and professionally , as she did. This book made me think about the human spirit's resiliency. It also made me think about how children either stay whole or fracture apart. A good book, well written, and one that will be discussed for years to come.
Judy Ghoneim (05/20/10)

With Parents Like These......
Jeannette Walls is a really strong woman (as are her siblings) to have survived her childhood. Though never physically abusive, her parents as revealed in her memoir, were totally feckless people who should not have been allowed to have children. Though her father was a highly intelligent man, he was always blaming someone else for his continuing failures, was a foul mouthed alcoholic who never understood himself nor his children. Her mother lived in a fantasy world with delusions of talent and was, with her husband, convinced of the conspiracy of government and all authority, who admired her own so-called values. And yet Jeannette, her sister and brother managed to break free of their family, leave West Virginia, and make good lives for themselves. They also tried to help their parents, to no avail.
Walls writes cleanly and forcefully, without self-pity, about a horrendous childhood, essentially raising herself, to become a talented, focused writer. I found the book compelling reading and was left in awe by the persistence of Jeannette, Lori and Brian. I would recommend it highly for anyone over the age of 12.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun