Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 174 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Bruce L. Beck (09/01/10)

The Glass Castle
Ms Walls is a wonderful writer. Her descriptions of things and people are wonderful. This is the best book I have read all year... I found it interesting that she refers to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in that she has a similar writing style. I hope that it is made into a movie---a "Sundance" type of movie that is true to the book
LOREDA (07/23/10)

Good honest reading
Many of us do not realize that people live like that.
It proves any of us can pull our selves up from any condition. A wonderful book.
Monica Coronado (07/07/10)

THE GLASS CASTLE
WOW is all i can really say about this book. Everything about it was amazing, although her life was rough she made it through and i love her for that. She is clearly wonderful and i can relate to her in some of her situations.
hey123 (06/24/10)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle is the story of the authors childhood. She includes details about the whole family. The parents Rex and Rosemary both have many problems. The dad is an alcoholic and the mom doesn't seem like she is all there. The family goes through very difficult times. The kids have to take care of themselves and seem to be what holds the family together. It was a very good book which I looked forward to reading every time I picked it up. Recommend it to everyone.
George (06/15/10)

Guess speaker
Jeannette was the quest speaker at the Milton Hershey School graduation on June 12, 2010. She was interesting and funny at first, then she started to go on and on. The parents and students were starting to fall asleep, and someone called out," Come on". She paused for a second and continued, then the audience started to clap every few minutes. She didn't get the hint, finally the whole graduating class stood and clapped till she stop talking and sat down. She is so brain dead, she still doesn't realize, everyone wanted her to stop talking. Lesson for the lady. A speech has a interesting beginning, a thoughtful ending, and a short space in between. The book is just another look how good I am, been done before.
Cristie (05/28/10)

Ive never been moved like this!
When I first was introduced to this book, to be honest I was just bored at work and needed something to read, The very first page I was sucked in, I never have cried, laughed, was angry and bitter everything I felt Jeannette and her siblings should have felt, Jeannette was always so strong and a leader and I was so proud of her success. I would recommend this book to everyone
amina. (05/27/10)

the glass castle
I had the option of reading this book for my English class for and independent novel study and I am so glad that I chose it because it is amazing! You forget that you are actually reading a book about someone's life. It is absolutely memorizing and breath taking-ly captivating. I simply loved it and could not put it down ! I would recommend this book to anyone in a heart beat.
JaneN (05/23/10)

What a life
With parents like Jeannette had, it's a wonder that she, and her siblings, survived. Her parents, one one side, are feckless, self absorbed, mean-spirited, and on the other hand hopeless romantics ! The amazing part is that she turned out as successful, both personally and professionally , as she did. This book made me think about the human spirit's resiliency. It also made me think about how children either stay whole or fracture apart. A good book, well written, and one that will be discussed for years to come.

• Book Jacket: The Leavers
    The Leavers
    by Lisa Ko

The day before Deming Guo saw his mother for the last time, she surprised him at school. A navy ...

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R