Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 174 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Honors Student (08/04/09)

Not a great book.
The book was way too repetitive. Yes, her parents sucked, yes, her life was bad. A lot of people have bad lives. I understand that her father is an alcoholic and she could only rely on her brother and sisters and she's probably scarred for life but things turned out well for her in the end. Here's a secret... it's okay not to always have blind faith in your father. Fathers aren't superheroes, they're human like anybody else. I had to annotate this book for class and honestly, I didn't annotate much because you could see everything coming or it was typical. Only read this book if you like hearing the same things page after page after page.
Justine (08/01/09)

Inspiring
Jeanette Walls is an inspiring author. She has touched my life in a way no other read has. I can relate to several of her stories, but her life seemed so much more extreme and complicated then mine ever was. So I think to myself, "What do I really have to complain about? I can free myself from this life and get away from it all and achieve so much more, just like Jeanette did." I hope so many other readers understand this logic and are able to achieve more for themselves, knowing they deserve it. Jeanette has inspired me and undoubtedly many others.
Spring Elton (07/25/09)

Wow! We have no reason to whine about our lives
I work as a detention officer at the county jail. Everyday i listen to inmates complain about their lives. I recommend this book to them and hope that after they read it they can see that their life may not be so bad.
After I read this remarkable story I realized how good most of our childhoods have been and that no matter what the situation we can overcome it and be productive individuals. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us; I truly believe it has made me a better person.
Connie Batich (07/21/09)

An exceptional story of an unbelievable fascinating family!
I just finished listening to "The Glass Castle" on a "playaway" (from a library). I walk 2 miles daily on a school track and so it took me maybe about 5 hours to hear the entire book. Even though your Dad, unfortunately, was a alcoholic (like my husband who died at 60 from cirrhosis of the liver), he was part of what made the story so very fascinating..Your Mom, also was a character of the first order! It was great to see her paintings..she is really GOOD! You were going to lend your Mom a million dollars to buy her share of the inherited property...How much was it really worth? And what happened eventually to Maureen. I want you to write another updated book eventually. You are an extraordinary writer..and wrote so appealingly. I hated for the story to end!
kutler (06/01/09)

castle
I believe this book is quite good. It portrays the fact that you shouldn't care how other people see you, or if they judge you, very well. This book is a good read, as well as a book that you can learn from.
Alicia3 (05/11/09)

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle was one of the most amazing books I have ever laid my eyes upon. Jeannette does a wonderful job portraying her family and childhood. Definitely a must read!
alice (04/13/09)

glass castle
This book is a very interesting read that although was a little far fetched, captured my attention until the very end.

As many other readers of the novel have said, the story takes many unbelievable twists and tuns that make the reader question how this could be a memoir. I personally don't think that is the point whatsoever. Maybe every little detail was correct and the author told the story perfectly or maybe the whole thing was just made up; no one will ever know except for Jeannette. Her story though shows a new outlook on life that is the most unique perspective I have ever read about. Her and some of her siblings prove that coming from a broken home, you can get out of that cycle or you can take the easy way out like Maureen and in a way follow in your parents footsteps.
Maleigh (03/23/09)

astonishing writer and person.
The book A Glass Castle made my head and heart turn & melt. What a great accomplishment Jeannette made getting out and living a successful life ((; i rate it a 10! 333Maleigh!

• Book Jacket: New People
    by Laurie Forest

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Happiness
    by Heather Harpham

A love story that follows a one-of-a-kind family through twists of fate that require nearly unimaginable choices.

Win Hame