Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 174 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

bobbie d (06/14/12)

It's Real
Our book club really liked this book. Couldn't believe that it is a true story! But I guess no one could make this up. This is one of the craziest disfunctional families ever. The father had dreams that would never happen, hence, The Glass Castle. When money became available, they found ways to waste it! All through the book, I kept thinking that this was fiction! The author is the daughter! She survived!
Laurie (06/05/12)

This is a wonderful story of triumph and trial. There are more than one occasions that could have changed any of these people in an extremely negative way, the author just pushes through in telling the story. She doesn't become bogged down in the process, AMAZING READ!
Charlotte Cunningham (01/16/12)

A great memoir
While I was at work a few days ago, one of my co workers said Hey Charlotte after I read your memoir Why? it made me think of another memoir called The Glass Castle, I think you should read it. Wow, I just finished The Glass Castle. It is a great memoir and reminds me a lot of my life growing up. God bless you Jeannette...Love Charlotte Cunningham
Jennifer W (12/06/11)

The Glass Castle was more than a page tuner. It paralyzes you from putting the book down! It has you clinching onto the pages to relive every memory Jeannette has from her childhood and leaves your mind wondering the rights and wrongs of parenting. When do actions speak louder than words? Allow the cultivating words to transport you into a world of disbelief filled with the strength and determination of a child.
Jomary (10/27/11)

A must read
One of the best non fiction books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down once I started it.
alyssa (10/04/11)

book review.....amazing
Julie Sausville (10/02/11)

Wonderful first time author
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish and many of my friends also loved it we have shared and discussed and laughed and couldn't wait to read her second novel Half Broke Horses, about her grandmother's life also a wonderful read I give Wall 2 thumbs up and cant wait for her to write a third :)
Barbara (09/18/11)

Reality of memory
I am amazed that there is such doubt about the memories of a three year old. Simple research reveals that early memories are tied to trauma and remain vivid throughout a lifetime. Repeated trauma, as seen at the hands of this author, link early memories to each other. Walls writes her memoir at a level that permits her free range to examine and write this memories with near complete recall. My own traumas allow me to know that. My husband has almost no recall of his earliest years, but also experienced no trauma in a warm and loving family. Walls remembers things that hurt. And lots of things hurt her. She lived an outrageous childhood. My disappointment comes with the recognition that, while she tells a great story and tells it well, I have no sense of her own emotional response to what she reports so well. My own brother was a student at Milton J Hershey, and I lived at an orphanage. When kids from MJH deride her talk there one needs to pay attention. No one there is free from childhood trauma. In the end it is about degree and triumph.doubting Walls' story is ridiculous. It's her story, however outrageous. You doubt so much happened to her? That might indicate a complete separation from what is, for some of us, the real world.

• Book Jacket: Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions
    The Girls in the Picture
    by Melanie Benjamin

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Sometimes I Lie