MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Dorothy (03/18/11)

Love it ;)
This book is worth reading. Now my daughter is reading and she can't put it away :)
Emma (03/18/11)

The Glass Castle Review
I started reading the book " The Glass Castle " yesterday it is amazing(even though I am only on page 36) .My favorite part( so far ) is Jeannette's first memory when she is making her self so hat dogs ( i cant believe her mother let her boil hotdogs on her own) I think everyone should read it - it's that good.
Lisa B (03/17/11)

Unbelievably familiar
As I was reading this book I could not help but think how very similar her childhood feelings were to mine...I could have written this book about my childhood...well written
lexi high (02/11/11)

bret harte high school student reader
This book is a very touching story of a true life of a young girl and I am sorry that she had to live this life but at the same time its good that she did because it made her the very special and intellectual person she is today and also the very hurt person who wrote this sad touching story.... this author deserves a standing ovation from a group of 1,000,000,00
Haley (01/27/11)

The Glass Castle By: Jeannette Walls
Jeannette Walls book The Glass Castle was for me the hardest book to get through because I feel for her. It is hard to get control my emotions as she talks about some of her horrible experiences, but it is the easiest memoir to get through because also so well written. There is enough context, background information, to really understand the events of the story. I can truly envision the story

There is not any unnecessary information throughout the book; Jeannette only talks about either life-threatening situations, life changing situations, or important information that effects her in the future. But you can not truly understand how all of these events are important to her and why she writes about specific moments until you reach the end and put the puzzle pieces together.

In the memoir I am currently writing about myself Jeannette Walls had truly inspired me to write in a way that grabs the readers attention as well as she did in hers. So I thank Jeannette Walls and her effective writing style which has inspired me to create my own so effectively, therefore I highly recommend this book to all.
[Editor's note: abbreviated]
Shawty (01/13/11)

The Glass Castle
When I finally finished reading this book, I noticed how much it touched me. It was an amazing story !! :)
Somekid (12/13/10)

Moving
I felt so much at home reading this book. To date, it is the only story I have ever read that made me cry at the end.
sandra (12/02/10)

glass castle
I just finished this book and I could not put it down. It is a must read for anyone who needs encouragement to go on. I loved it!

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun