What readers think of The Tale of Despereaux, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Tale of Despereaux

Apr 2006, 272 pages

There are currently 86 reader reviews for The Tale of Despereaux

Kassandra

Dear Kate Dicamillo,

I need to know what your address is so I can mail you the letter I write you.
Lauren

This was an awsome book! I did it for a book report and got an A+++++++ My teacher loved and also the kids! They all went to the store and got it! You should do it for a book report and you will love the book and so will your teacher! Keep reading!!
Ian

It was a very good book with colorful characters and loads of action/adventure. If you like reading then you'll love this book. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in hours. I think everyone should read this book and then think about the lessons it teaches us.
Jessica

This story is very very enchanting. It shows that even the smallest creature can be a hero. For those who do not like this book go read There's a Coyote in the House you might enjoy that.
Frizzle

Awesome book. HIGHLY recommended for 6th graders...
Sherry Adkins

The Tale of Despereaux was an enlightening, captivating, and truly imaginable exerience to read. If you like enchantment and fantasy this is the book for you, even if you are an adult. I'm 35 and I loved the story! A story of perseverence in a small mouse. A wonderful and pleasant ending leaving a smile to anyone's face, big or little. Kate also creates a lot of feeling in her characters, leaving you using all your sensory abilities. I can still smell the soup! I can feel the love of Despereaux, and poor Miggery! I highly recommend this book.
T. Grant Mullin

My sons, as well as the students in my special education classroom, enjoyed this story immensely. In a time when children do not think of the consequences their choices bring, Ms. DiCamillo masterfully weaves a rich and colorful tapestry of dreams, courage, sadness, longing, forgivness, and a message of how we are all connected and touched by the choices we make. As with her other books, Kate DiCamillo has given us a thoughtful story full of chiaroscuro, the mixing of light and dark.
Me

Some
For Harry Potter type of person it is not good. For biography type of person, it is great.
It is very good for some parts. But boring for some. If you are going to write a book report with this book, you will have to read long to write sentences.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Clear
    Clear
    by Carys Davies
    John Ferguson is a principled man. But when, in 1843, those principles drive him to break from the ...
  • Book Jacket: Change
    Change
    by Edouard Louis
    Édouard Louis's 2014 debut novel, The End of Eddy—an instant literary success, published ...
  • Book Jacket: Big Time
    Big Time
    by Ben H. Winters
    Big Time, the latest offering from prolific novelist and screenwriter Ben H. Winters, is as ...
  • Book Jacket: Becoming Madam Secretary
    Becoming Madam Secretary
    by Stephanie Dray
    Our First Impressions reviewers enjoyed reading about Frances Perkins, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's ...

BookBrowse Book Club

A Great Country
by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
A novel exploring the ties and fractures of a close-knit Indian-American family in the aftermath of a violent encounter with the police.

Members Recommend

The House on Biscayne Bay
    by Chanel Cleeton

As death stalks a gothic mansion in Miami, the lives of two women intertwine as the past and present collide.

The Stone Home
    by Crystal Hana Kim

A moving family drama and coming-of-age story revealing a dark corner of South Korean history.

Win This Book
Win The Funeral Cryer

The Funeral Cryer by Wenyan Lu

Debut novelist Wenyan Lu brings us this witty yet profound story about one woman's midlife reawakening in contemporary rural China.

M as A H