What readers think of The Tale of Despereaux, plus links to write your own review.

The Tale of Despereaux

Aug 2003, 272 pages

Apr 2006, 272 pages

There are currently 86 reader reviews for The Tale of Despereaux

Mika

This book wasn't the best and not the worst. I read it for a book project and I was able to do my pjoject on it.
Palendrome

It was kinda pathetic. What does soup have to do with the price of eggs? It was really short too. She needed a better foundation on the story and the book was kinda predictable and I don't like those type of books.
Grabow De-Jordenae

Oh my gosh
What a horrible book. It is like I am in a time machine and am back to second grade. It bored me to sleep and it is a total wast of time to read. Not to mention the book is not even on spark notes and cliff notes.
KARISSA BRADFORD

I totally love this book! it is sad,funny,exciting and informational all at one time. my favorite character is the Princess Pee!
Rachel Graham

Insulting to 600,000 at risk children
I feel the Newberry committee deserves to be scolded on their choice of “The tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo, a Newberry medal winner; a child is abused and abandoned is not interesting enough the author felt the child should be slow-witted, fat and lazy as well. How dare the author make light of a child who is gratuitously scolded, beaten and abandoned. It added nothing to the story other than showing she had a “ridiculous wish” this author should be ashamed of herself.

A child who has faced abandonment, abuse and injury deserves to have a wish and not thought of as “ridiculous.”

I feel this author is un-kind and insulting to the 600,000 at-risk children in this country who dream of a day of safety. Are their dreams of a home and family “ridiculous”?
Amber D

Amber - BookBrowse

Hi Kassandra,

The best way to contact an author, if they don't have a website listed, is to write to them c/o their publisher. In this case you would send it to:

Kate DiCamillo c/o

Foster
    by Claire Keegan

Cradles of the Reich
by Jennifer Coburn
Three women, a nation seduced by a madman, and the Nazi breeding program to create a so-called master race.

Members Recommend

Natural History
    by Andrea Barrett

W N, W Not

There is no worse robber than a bad book.