What readers think of The Tale of Despereaux, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Tale of Despereaux

Apr 2006, 272 pages

There are currently 86 reader reviews for The Tale of Despereaux

Emily

The Tale of Desperaeux
100% Fabulous. One of my 2 favorite books!
Ian Sorrell

THE TAIL OF DESPEREAUX
I loved this book. It was a 7th grade project and we had so much fun reading the book, doing the project and seeing the movie!
josephine

the tale of despereaux
This has million of tales in one story. It has action fame and lots of beauty. Read this book the first time and you'll fall in love with it. When I read this book I loved it and smiled through the whole book . It is good for all ages and has such great descriptions. Read this book before its to late!
Hayle watkins

COOL!
The tale of Despereaux is my favorite book! It is AWESOME!
onagap adnicaj

A Wonderful great written book
I thought that this book takes you on a journey that will definitely keep you in your seats and it just unwinds a story of a child's past to a rat who was never supposed to see the light but took his chance & couldn't get enough of it then it takes you on a epic ride through the life of mouse that was afraid of not much and had ears to big for his small little head.
amy

Detailed Despereaux
Where should I start...how about the title? Ok. In the book, the author, Kate DiCamillo, uses details amazingly. I can go on commenting this book forever but, I just want to get to the point. The tale of Despereaux is a story of a mouse, a princess, some soup, and a spool of thread. If you have a chance READ THIS BOOK! I give it 5 stars out of 5.
kiwi

Love this book
When I was in 5th grade my teacher read this book to me. I hate to read. this book along with Marley and Me are my favorite book. I have read The Tale of Despereaux 13 times and I'm almost done with reading it for my 14th time. Kate DiCamllio has a method to writing she adds a little bit of real life with fantasy, and she always writes about an animal. I'm glad I have to a do a book report on this book especially since its worth 1/4 of our grade. Wish me luck. I hope you have or had the same feeling as me, the love this book!!!!
Deeinmetcalfe

The Tale of Desperaux
Our first intro to Kate DiCamillo was through Mercy Watson, the pig (for younger readers). From there we went to 'The Miraculous Adventures of Edward Tulane' which is more on the level of Desperaux and equally wonderful. We bought 'The Tale of Desperaux on CD and love it. I believe it's word for word and this gently dark humour has us laughing out loud. We're listening to it for the 4th time. My son loves it. He was 8 when we first listened to it and we all still enjoy it. Kate DiCamillo's writing inspires so many emotions. She does a wonderful job of incorporating some of the harsher realities of life, but keeping it appropriate for younger kids and she mixes it well with intelligent, captivating story telling. For me, her style is a good mix of the real and the romantic without being saccharin or condescending. I'll buy anything she writes!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Sicilian Inheritance
    The Sicilian Inheritance
    by Jo Piazza
    Sara Marsala is going through a rough patch, to say the least. In the process of divorcing from her ...
  • Book Jacket: The Light Eaters
    The Light Eaters
    by Zoë Schlanger
    The human race is completely dependent on plants. Many people, however, give little thought to ...
  • Book Jacket: Joy Is the Justice We Give Ourselves
    Joy Is the Justice We Give Ourselves
    by J Drew Lanham
    As a recipient of the MacArthur "Genius" Grant, and a Professor of Wildlife Ecology and Master ...
  • Book Jacket: Glorious Exploits
    Glorious Exploits
    by Ferdia Lennon
    Lampo and Gelon are two unemployed potters in their thirties whose lives are spent between their ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Only the Beautiful
by Susan Meissner
A heartrending story about a young mother’s fight to keep her daughter, and the terrible injustice that tears them apart.

Members Recommend

Daughters of Shandong
    by Eve J. Chung

Eve J. Chung's debut novel recounts a family's flight to Taiwan during China's Communist revolution.

The Stolen Child
    by Ann Hood

An unlikely duo ventures through France and Italy to solve the mystery of a child’s fate.

Win This Book
Win Only the Brave

Only the Brave by Danielle Steel

A powerful, sweeping historical novel about a courageous woman in World War II Germany.

F T a T