Reader reviews and comments on Across the Nightingale Floor, plus links to write your own review.

Across the Nightingale Floor

Tales of the Otori, Volume I

by Lian Hearn

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

Aug 2002, 304 pages
    Jun 2003, 323 pages

There are currently 68 reader reviews for Across the Nightingale Floor

Todd (10/09/02)

I found this book an excelent read! As soon as I saw it, I thought it would be a good book to read, and I bought it straight away. The way that Lian has weaved the story about a boy who lives with his mum in a peaceful little town, then one day finding that his village has been attacked and people and homes destroyed, then being forced into adulthood is excellent!

I found it emotional near the end, which gives it a little bit more feeling, and makes it hard for anyone to put it down!
Neill Tannock (10/05/02)

I never use to read. Im 18 and i only just started! I started by reading the Harry Potter books which i was preasured in to by my obsessed brother and sisters. But to my amament i actually enjoyed them. After i finished the four books i tried to find another book that i would read. I looked for two weeks in every book store for a book i would enjoy and nothing found me. Then while i was in Tescos of al places ACROSS THE NIGHTINGALE FLOOR jumped out at me i bought it instantly and i swear i didnt drop it for three days solid and after that i was finished that was a week ago and i have read it again twice since. So if you want a really good book to read then i suggest Across the Nightingale Floor. YOU WONT PUT IT DOWN!!!
Dave P (09/25/02)

Don't get me wrong, this is a great book and well worth the time to read, however two complaints, firstly when the hell are the next two due out!!!!!!!!! and secondaly did anyone else feel it was a little rushed, hopefully the author will take his time in the next books and explain the amazing changes takeo went through, for example, his gaining of the hearing skill was so rushed, ' he could hear everything, he had to train his ears... this let down what looked to be a promising book, but please read it, and please don;t rush the next two books
Davina - BookBrowse.com (09/04/02)

Brilliant! Samurai warriors clash with magically gifted Ninjas in part one of a three part trilogy set in a fictitious Japan. The book comes complete with star-crossed lovers, villains you'll love to hate and honorable heroes - no doubt doomed to further tribulations in the remainder of the trilogy.

Many books have kept me up at night but not many have caused me to wake up early to finish them. In this case, I took the book camping and was so hooked that, on waking at 4am, I happily left the warm confines of my sleeping bag, and sleeping family, in order to sit outside, shivering in the cold early morning, reading by flashlight until the sun rose two hours later! This isn't a particularly deep or intellectual book - just a rippingly good mainstream historical fiction yarn.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

Never Coming Back
    by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F