Reader reviews and comments on Across the Nightingale Floor, plus links to write your own review.

Across the Nightingale Floor

Keade (11/16/04)

this book is brilliant I have already read it over 10 times and love it to bits

It deserves more than 100%
alana (11/08/04)

i am 12 years old and i nerver relly used read but after ''across the nightingale

floor'' all i want to do is read i can not wait for the second and thrid.

if i had to this book i would give it a 10/10++. it is a great book i recomed it to

anyone who likeswar,love and adventure.i hope the second and thrid are as good

as the first.i hope erveryone enjoys it as much as me. it's the best

CID (09/28/04)

I first read 'Across the nightengale floor' last year in my first year of sixth form, it was intended for the year 10's, but my Lit teacher let me borrow a copy; she said i would enjoy it because of my interests. Im not a mojor reader (of books) and i useually get bored when reading and find myself struggling through the text, but this book was totally different i read a couple of pages on the bus trip home and before i knew it i was shunning T.V and computer games in favour of reading this story. I believe the book was appealing because of its imaginative mixtures of ation, drama, fantasy and romance with out being compleatly unbelievable. The author has built up the characters and their background so well that you can vividly see every aspect of world of the three countries and the clans that occupy it in your mind when your reading. You could almost believe that this work of fiction was an event that actually occured in the past of some exotic mystical land. Days after returning the book to my teacher i had bought my own copy and recently i bought a copy of 'Grass for his pillow' part 2 ot the 'tales of the Otori', which takes you even deeper into the world of 'Takeo' and the Otori.

'Across the nightengale floor' is a fantastic story that can appeal to a wide range of audiences and it would be a mistake for anyone to give it a miss.
alexandria (07/16/04)

Absolute DITTO to all wonderful comments previously posted. I've read (and own) some of the finest fiction in various sub-genres and this volume I of 3 had mealso desperately waiting for #2. A heavy local library supporter, Nightengale Floor I bought, and ordered #2 & #3 immediately... in hardcovers (and I'm poor). And yes, I also lost sleep and chores waited, and I passed each of them to my 16-yr old daughter who held her breath, cried, exclaimed, lost sleep, as much as I did. Don't anyone stop with volume I (as if you could!), Also insist that your libraries and local bookdealer get Grass For His Pillow and Brilliance of the Moon as well. And be sure to read in sequence. Each picks up at very scene where left off. And utilize benefit of Cast of Characters, it helps.

If you loved this, a slightly more difficult find but oh-so-well worth the effort (avail in paperback from Random House) is "Bridge of Birds - A Novel of An Ancient China That Never Was" by Barry Hughart... think a has-been Charlie Chan meets Crouching Tigen, Hidden Dragon in the 7-Seas of Sinbad, written with incredible tenderness and humor and excitement. Another sleep-loser. And if you say you're never moved to laugh out loud or cry while reading, test this one. For me, it set a standard for Tales of the Otori to match, and they did.
Robban (07/08/04)

Incredible book. I love this kind of books, really close to "Harry Potter" and J.R.R Tolkiens triology. But this book is even better. Hughe landsqapes that turn on your wildest fantasy.
Matt Lovelace (06/18/04)

I've read both of the Otori books and I can honestly say that they are the best I've ever read. I could not put them down. In fact I plowed through the second book in two days. Awesome.
ah_ku mei ^^ (06/12/04)

The first book had excited me and immediatly I read the next.

I have to say this is one of the most excellent book I have come across because

it suited me with rich context from the ancient history, which i LOVE.

Now, i'm waiting in anticipation for the third...

Oh gawd, my brain is tearing... help! Where is my third book???
Joka (06/09/04)

This book is the best Ive read probably. I think its way better than the harry potter books and im surprised its not as well known. Great storyline and the the authour brings to life the charachters and the environment brilliantly. Im tryin to get all my friends to read. I cant wait for the third one.

• Book Jacket: If We Were Villains

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R