MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Lauren

why do teachers make us read this when we can read the exact same stuff out of a text book
Michelle

I was given a list of books where I needed to pick one to read for my AP US hist. class and chose this one, particularly because it was the shortest one I could find (after having already read 3 books for my eng. class). Like most people my age (16) I think this is an extremely difficult book to get into. I will read one page, notice I'm thinking about something else, and have to go back and read it 2-3 more times in order to digest it. One of its few benefits is that by understanding the character of those that became presidents, I can better remember the order they go in for tests. The author did a good job researching- but it lacks creativity necessary to actually stay focused and enjoy this tidious piece of legacy.
Vinayak

For our US History class we've got to outline this book and let me tell you, it is no easy task! Ellis' descriptions could put anyone to sleep. His attention to detail is good, but he pushes the limit and really goes too far. Such minute description is not necessary for someone trying to understand the six events he chooses. The people who give out Pulitzer prizes must not have been very sharp when this book came across, it's really not worth it.
Audra

I am had to read this book for my College history class, american history up to 1877, and I found it unexplainably boring. The first chapter in this book should have said it all. Ellis writes a page in what could have been said in a paragraph, and a short one at that. He some how manages a whole chapter on and on like this. This book is highly overrated. I don't see how it ever won a Pulitzer.
Ethan

I'm in the same class that megan down below is....and I'm gonna have to say that's a definite 10-4 on the "boring" evaluation. Honestly, I wasted two perfectly good days of my life reading it, and, in hindsight, I have to say it wasn't worth it, because I honestly don't think I learned anything incredibly usefull. Overall, I feel un-enriched. Buh-Gah.
Megan

I was FORCED to read this book in my Advanced Placement US History course and it was largely a waste of my time-you could have easily gotten the same amount of information in an easy to understand, shortened simplified version somewhere else. Anyone who reads this book on their own time for pleasure is CRAZY. It is the most un-entertaining book I have ever read in my life. The author's writing style is something like this: "he picked up the pen. He then set the pen down on the desk. After looking around, he picked up the pen a second time, after dropping it he lavishly bowed to pick it up again." There is nothing remotely entertaining about this book. All I can say is, my respect for the Pulitzer Prize just went waaaaay down, in the future if I see that stamp on a book I'll run the other direction...if this is what good is to them...
ihatebooks4life

i was assigned this book for my 10th grade summer reading...and its so boring mostly because its so drawn out and slow with stuff i havent even gone over in school...so i cant see how this book could seem interesting to anyone thats not even gone through collage...so basically this book sucks.
Chunk

The author chose some of the most trivial events to drone on and on about. It's the most boring book I've ever read. American history is not as boring as this book makes it.

Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Pronounce Knife
    How to Pronounce Knife
    by Souvankham Thammavongsa
    Many examples of immigrant fiction dedicate a portion of their storytelling to exploring details of ...

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water