MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Igloo Bob

I found this book to be quite enjoyable. Many other reviewers have given it low ratings for the large vocabulary used by the author, describing it as "boring". While some chapters are hard to describe as anything but that, most are genuinely enjoyable. It does require a large vocabulary and good grasp of American History, especially early American History, and so is most suited to the AP or college student.
JTM

Excellent look into the United States during it's most defining years. Although the author does fill some pages with repetitiveness, he provides an indepth look into the fathers of our nation.

I am 16 and have just finished my AP U.S. History class. I found the book highly entertaining, and though quite scholarly, Ellis wrote with a subtle familiarity that made the book easier to read, and thoroughly enjoyable. It was a needed supplement to what textbooks left out about the people and personalities behind the faces.
an ap us history student

founding brothers
I'm not done with this book but i can definitely agree with almost everyone here. This book can be really REALLY boring at parts, but the more you just change the big pompous looking words to words you can relate to, the better the book gets. I've always thought that u.s. history wasn't the most intriguing subject at school, but this book shows mainly the vulnerability of America as a country in its infancy. overall I think the book could have been made a little more user-friendly, and those who could understand this book without a dictionary open next to them probably know this information already. its a good book, but probably not meant for most high school students. it just takes a little work to find the real meaning of the chapter through all the unnecessary words.
erica

Founding Brothers
What the hell Ellis? He is so defensive about Adams and blames Abigail and Jefferson for all his short comings. He forgets that Adams supported the 'bad" decisions. This book was good as far as history content, but you have to remember that Ellis tends to embellish the truth.
black apple

founding brothers was boring yet interesting at the same time
Rabscuttle

I'm 16 too and I had it assigned over the summer for my AP US history class. I found some parts of it difficult to understand because I've never taken a US history class before (Class mess-ups at my last school), but I took notes during the chapters and when I came to something I didn't know, which helped so I could look it up later and understand it. It might not be the most interesting book the first time through but I think the second time might be better because I understand some more of what was going on.

Anyways, that's all folks
Nathan

I'm 16 as well and had to read this for my history class. I admit there were a few words I had to look up and at times I was confused. The fact that this book does not have a plot like normal novels made it seem slow and dull at times. However I realize that if Ellis had written this book in novel style he could not have given so many facts and key insights into the past. Ellis wrote this book superbly and the only reason not to read it is if you are not as verbose as this author. It's a book that gives you new angles on the past and insight into how our nation was formed so well.

Girl, Woman, Other
    by Bernardine Evaristo
    As we meet Amma, a 50-something playwright finally experiencing mainstream success in Bernardine ...
  • Book Jacket: The Revisioners
    The Revisioners
    by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    The chapters of Margaret Wilkerson Sexton's second novel, The Revisioners, alternate between three ...
  • Book Jacket: Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    by Dexter Palmer
    The year is 1726 and the sleepy town of Godalming has been rocked by scandal. Called to the bedside ...
  • Book Jacket: Life Undercover
    Life Undercover
    by Amaryllis Fox
    Life Undercover, a riveting true-adventure memoir, reveals how and why a young woman decides to work...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins

A new American classic, and the first book to ever score a perfect 5-stars in BookBrowse's early reader program!

You Were There Too
    by Colleen Oakley

Acclaimed author Colleen Oakley delivers a heart-wrenching and unforgettable love story.

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer