Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Igloo Bob

I found this book to be quite enjoyable. Many other reviewers have given it low ratings for the large vocabulary used by the author, describing it as "boring". While some chapters are hard to describe as anything but that, most are genuinely enjoyable. It does require a large vocabulary and good grasp of American History, especially early American History, and so is most suited to the AP or college student.
JTM

Excellent look into the United States during it's most defining years. Although the author does fill some pages with repetitiveness, he provides an indepth look into the fathers of our nation.

I am 16 and have just finished my AP U.S. History class. I found the book highly entertaining, and though quite scholarly, Ellis wrote with a subtle familiarity that made the book easier to read, and thoroughly enjoyable. It was a needed supplement to what textbooks left out about the people and personalities behind the faces.
an ap us history student

founding brothers
I'm not done with this book but i can definitely agree with almost everyone here. This book can be really REALLY boring at parts, but the more you just change the big pompous looking words to words you can relate to, the better the book gets. I've always thought that u.s. history wasn't the most intriguing subject at school, but this book shows mainly the vulnerability of America as a country in its infancy. overall I think the book could have been made a little more user-friendly, and those who could understand this book without a dictionary open next to them probably know this information already. its a good book, but probably not meant for most high school students. it just takes a little work to find the real meaning of the chapter through all the unnecessary words.
erica

Founding Brothers
What the hell Ellis? He is so defensive about Adams and blames Abigail and Jefferson for all his short comings. He forgets that Adams supported the 'bad" decisions. This book was good as far as history content, but you have to remember that Ellis tends to embellish the truth.
black apple

founding brothers was boring yet interesting at the same time
Rabscuttle

I'm 16 too and I had it assigned over the summer for my AP US history class. I found some parts of it difficult to understand because I've never taken a US history class before (Class mess-ups at my last school), but I took notes during the chapters and when I came to something I didn't know, which helped so I could look it up later and understand it. It might not be the most interesting book the first time through but I think the second time might be better because I understand some more of what was going on.

Anyways, that's all folks
Nathan

I'm 16 as well and had to read this for my history class. I admit there were a few words I had to look up and at times I was confused. The fact that this book does not have a plot like normal novels made it seem slow and dull at times. However I realize that if Ellis had written this book in novel style he could not have given so many facts and key insights into the past. Ellis wrote this book superbly and the only reason not to read it is if you are not as verbose as this author. It's a book that gives you new angles on the past and insight into how our nation was formed so well.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Watch Over Me
    Watch Over Me
    by Nina LaCour
    In the vast, kaleidoscopic multiverse of plot devices, one type that always pulls me right in is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Cold Millions
    The Cold Millions
    by Jess Walter
    Jess Walter's The Cold Millions centers around 16-year-old Rye Dolan and his 23-year-old brother Gig...
    The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste
    While reading The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste, I was reminded of the David Foster Wallace novel ...
  • Book Jacket: The Exiles
    The Exiles
    by Christina Baker Kline
    A young governess finds herself pregnant and in prison for theft and attempted murder. An Irish ...

Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose & Fiona Davis (editors)

One City.
    One Movement.
    A World of Stories.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R