What readers think of Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Motomy

neverread the book
Sarah

This book was so boring, when I tried tor ead I feel alsleep. If it had not been assigned for my A.P. Government class I would not have read it
jenn

this book was ok. very boring at first but then ok
Diana

Worth reading. Very entertaining and informative but hard to get through. Dull passages make it hard to turn the page.
Jacob Valentine

Good points but a boring book all around.
notsmartenough

I'm not 76
This book would be good if I knew big words.....but I don't. Also, I found it very repetitive and drawn out.
mandi

boring but has good facts
The book is super boring but it does have a few parts that kinda helped me understand what I was learning in school a little better. Like when he described the duel. But the rest just about put me to sleep with how boring it was I couldn't even finish it. It wasn't the big words or any thing it was just SO boring!!!!
z00

Notwithstanding... Is that even a word?
Where do I begin? This work of overly flamboyant vocabulary, 4 page paragraphs, and mind-numbing overcomplexity is the best example to date of three pounds of candy in a 100 pound bag.
I commend Joseph J. Ellis for the 20 years he probably spent poring over a dictionary to fill a story that could be told in a mere 40 pages, with so many adjectives, so much pointless information, and the most annoyingly extreme degree of detail I have ever experienced in a literary work. Let us also not forget to recognize so many school districts for assigning 248 pages (more with notes) of absolute TORTURE as a "summer reading assignment" for the vast majority of A.P. U.S. history students across the country. Not to exaggerate, but I think the suicide rate in children between sixteen and eighteen years of age may experience a spike as the summer draws to a close, and children around the nation begin to pick up this work of excruciating pain, hoping to finish it before the school year begins.
If you are a hermit, despot, or just a fat, mean old man, who wants to be left alone for an afternoon of reading on the beach, please tape the cover of "founding brothers" to the back of your book of choice. When those annoying teenagers spot a glimpse of that beige spine with the presidential portraits, you can be sure they will keep a distance of at least 3 miles.
It's true: somehow, be it to maintain the poseur reputation of a well-read intellectual, some critics will actually claim to ENJOY this novel. I guess in the end, this is a free country (a country whose founding is described in this book in the most boring and tasteless fashion imaginable), but a word of kindly advice to the author of this piece: seeing as the educational system seems to favor your books for their summer reading assignments, in the future, please; just stick to short stories.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Dark Horses
    Dark Horses
    by Susan Mihalic
    Dark Horses is a shocking, heart-pounding debut; it's both a coming-of-age novel and an unflinching ...
  • Book Jacket: Best Laid Plans
    Best Laid Plans
    by Gwen Florio
    When starting a series, first impressions are key. Introducing a sympathetic or relatable ...
  • Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...
  • Book Jacket: No One Is Talking About This
    No One Is Talking About This
    by Patricia Lockwood
    If anyone knows the ins and outs of living online, it's Patricia Lockwood. Before her stellar memoir...

Smalltime
    by Russell Shorto

Family secrets emerge as a best-selling author dives into the history of the mob in small-town America.

The Northern Reach
    by W.S. Winslow

A heart-wrenching first novel about the power of place and family ties, the stories we tell and the burden of those we hide.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis