MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Laur

I think an extremely learned History major...
... might be able to comprehend about a quarter of what the author cranks out onto the page. Granted, Ellis writes extremely fluidly, and the overall quality of the book is hardly mediocre. HOWEVER; I found it extremely redundant, and not at all self-explanatory. A thorough knowledge of the American history and government is required to understand what this book means, let alone the extremely extensive vocabulary that is enough to make more than a few uncomfortable. Overall, I found it pretty painful to read.

I am a 16-year-old AP U.S. student, and I recommend this book to those who are capable of appreciating 'Founding Brothers' unneeded complexity. I, for one, am not one of those people.
b

Founding Fathers: the Revolutionary Generation
I have to read this book for AP US History. I have read most of it, but I find it really hard to get through. I've already read The Jungle, Thirteen Day: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and The Killer Angels, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. This book, however has put me to sleep three times with its boring rehashing of previously stated facts. It could be quite condensed and still give the same information. It would be quite good if it wasn't so long winded. I enjoy the first parts of all the Chapters, but after 15 pages of the same thing it gets boring (and I'm not ADD or ADHD). I wouldn't recommend this book unless you absolutely LOVE Ellis's other works.
Kyle

A nerds review
Phrases I have used in my paper to describe this book include: "I am about to explode from the massive influx of information" "coma inducing" "nasty tendency to roll on forever" and "Random tangents away from the storyline." Normally I love to read a good historical book. It is something I do for fun. Founding Brothers managed to make 250 pages seem like a 1000 page novel.
angelica

founding brothers
I must say this is one of the worst books I have ever read and let me tell you I have read a lot of book in my day. In the first chapter I found myself saying "what in the world does this word mean". I got so lost in trying to figure out the meanings of the words that i could not enjoy the actual plot of the book. Now I do not doubt that Joseph Ellis is a good writer for old people (no offense) and for college nerds ( again no offense) but for a 16 year old just trying to pass her AP course it definitely was not for me. I thought it was one of the most boring books I ever set my eyes on. I mean I know American history is important and all but maybe they should take the facts and make them more interesting. one word of advice before you pick up this book and read it is to read the dictionary first!
caroline

A Review of Founding Bothers
I have a Masters degree in Gifted Education. I took a history course this summer just to have a little more background knowledge of American history. One of the books that we were required to read and do a book review on was the Founding Brothers. I was frustrated beyond belief. While the book reveals a fascinating character analysis of the men who helped shape the foundation of our country, the complex sentence structure, redundancy, and almost purposeful hyperbolism that plagued this book made for excruciating reading. I can't believe this book was assigned to high school kids. Their reviews had me howling with laughter.
Wils

Unbelivable!!!
This book is completely overrated! While reading this book for AP, I can't believe the good ratings it has achieved for such a BORING book. I can understnd that it is a good book, but for people in its league, don't make high school kids read it.!!!
sam

this book totally sucks
as a US AP history student, i was assigned to read this book along with two other less dreadful books. i mean, i like history, especially the history of our country but never in my life have i read such a book that changed my mind so fast, i hate history now, all because of htis total bore. if you are planning to read this book as an assignment, find a younger sibiling to do the job, if you are a teacher reading this to see the views of what the young kids think of the book, all i have to say is- might as well fail them from now rather than sucking the fun out of their lives with such a horrific book.
Billy Sh.

A Review of Founding Brothers and Other Works By Joseph J. Ellis
I would just like to tell all people who are interested in reading one of Joseph J. Ellis's novels, to hault that line of thought right now. The reason this man continues to write is because we contnue to buy his work. Any person who attests to have liked this book is either a history teacher who is getting some kind of discount off office supplies for every book their students buy, or are individuals who are truly interested in editing such fine pieces of literature as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary or the Britannica Online Encyclopedia. Please heed my words, for once Joseph gets his writing in your mind, everyone suffers.

• Book Jacket: The Kindness of Strangers
    The Kindness of Strangers
    by Michael E. McCullough
    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Everyone, at some point in their life, has ...
  • Book Jacket: Hamnet
    Hamnet
    by Maggie O'Farrell
    William Shakespeare's name is never used in Hamnet — a conspicuous absence around which Maggie...
  • Book Jacket: After the Last Border
    After the Last Border
    by Jessica Goudeau
    According to the United Nations Refugee Agency, the number of displaced people around the world is ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...

With or Without You
    by Caroline Leavitt

A moving novel about twists of fate, the shifting terrain of love, and coming into your own.

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M