MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

J

Disgusting
I despise this book and author with a passion. Ellis' writing style is not only figuratively, but literally painful to read. His bias is obnoxious, his book is chock full of jargon that does not fit the context, and important elements are missing from the story. If I received one wish, I would wish for a time machine so I could 1) go to the future to know outcomes of races to bet on and 2) go back in time and prevent Joseph Ellis from writing this book in the first place (other reasons are irrelevant, but then again, so my first reason). I recommend this book to all that I dislike greatly. Specifically, Joseph Ellis.
Monique

Boring!!
Seriously, This Book Was Super Duper Boring! I'm Not Even Done With It I Don't Know Why I Was Assigned This Book, I Seriously Fell Asleep Reading It. It Repeats The Same Stuff Over And Over.
Matt

Aiyaaaaaaaaaaaaa
This book will give you a very clear definition of boredom. Seriously, reading the Mahabharpta was more enjoyable than this. Forced to read in American Studies 1 Honors. I would rather go to a furry convention than read this book. Do yourself a favor and don't read it unless you have to. Even so, fly through it as fast as you can, it will ease the pain.
ugh

BORING
I could usually get through any book pretty much in a day no matter how boring it is, but THIS BOOK. OH MANN. I couldn't even get past a paragraph. I opened it, read a sentence and put it right back down. I don't know why teachers are assigning this to high school students.
Jessica

This book is BORING!!!
I have to read this book for American Studies 1 Honors and I swear it is the most boring book I read. It is hard to read 5 pages without falling asleep. If I'm not mistaking, it took me 2-3 hours to read a chapter. I couldn't read any faster since it was so boring. Dying is faster. Don't read unless forced. More than half the people in school didn't read it.
ap us

horrible
It was awful. I literally fell asleep within 1 and a half pages of reading. I will take me a decade to read this horrible, boring story. Maybe less if I just commit suicide now. Do not read unless forced.
Agreed with others

BORINGGGG
I agree with the other 2 guys that wrote a review b4 me. This book sucks. Ellis took good pieces of history and wrote it in a way so that no one could understand. Dammit, go in a straight line, instead of curving back and forth. I'm going to go crazy. Bad bad book, do not read it, unless you are a crazy history nerd. Awful book.
goin to die

omg
I love history but once I read this I wanted to shoot myself. I'm sure Ellis worked hard on this book but only like 10 people loved it and another 10000000 wanted to die.

Ellis, at least you get an another award besides the Pulitzer prize: The book with the most 1 rating out of 5. Good job

• Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...
  • Book Jacket: The Truants
    The Truants
    by Kate Weinberg
    The Truants opens with Jess Walker, a first-year university student in Norfolk, England, ...
  • Book Jacket: The End of the Ocean
    The End of the Ocean
    by Maja Lunde
    In The History of Bees, her debut novel for adults, internationally bestselling Norwegian writer ...
  • Book Jacket: Heart of Junk
    Heart of Junk
    by Luke Geddes
    In Luke Geddes' debut novel, The Heart of America is the largest year-round antique mall in Kansas, ...

Remembrance
    by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Father of Lions
by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Win Sounds Like Titanic

"The definition of an overdeliver." —Vox

"A tricky, unnerving, consistently fascinating memoir."
Kirkus, starred review