MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

The Revolutionary Generation

by Joseph J. Ellis

Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis X
Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

ms.????

[{come on}]..ppl, this book is blah blah blah...
i just read the first 3 sentences and STOPPED!!!!..WHAT IN THE WORLD???...This book isn't for high school students.Okay I'm taking AP US History, but this is like for 3AP US History. Who reads this???..Not ME!!!!..It's not talking about anything. I'd be better off hearing this info from my great-grandparents and their brothers and sisters.
lil' lady

R U SERIOUS?
I have to read this book for my AP US History class and write a book review. I only read the first chapter and my head started to hurt. I need something exciting to read and that book was not it. Ellis needed to give us something that we can comprehend. Nobody talks the old English language anymore. So for my book review, I got my information from the flaps of the cover and friends who also didn't finish the book. I seriously can't believe I had to read that!
serbs

why read this book?
i am also reading this book for my AP history class this year and i am only on the second chapter and am unable to finish for the poor quality of this book. the words are far past my comprehension and i that the parts i do understand have no relevance to me answering and part of the 6 page essay i have been assigned to write this summer. If you get the chance to read this book on your own, please do not because you will find yourself aggrivated and even possibly find you have LOST some of your previous knowlegde simply from reading this terrible work of literature.
Jeff

An awful book
I am 15 and have to read this book for Honors US History. It is the most painful book I have ever read.

Ellis is extremely redundant throughout the entire book—and for a teenager who has relatively good concentration, I literally fell asleep reading the first chapter. That is the first time I had ever done that.

If this book is optional, by all means, DO NOT READ IT. If it is mandatory, well good luck to you. I certainly needed it.
Alex

Founding Brothers
This book should be taken off the shelves! I found it more interesting to watch the puddle of drool form while I attemted to read this absolutley awful book. I used to be an A.P. student before this book FRIED my brain.
Nick

Founding Brothers
Stupidest book in the world.
cjm

Reckless spawn of the devil
My mood has been apathetic since i have attempted to read this horrific novel or whatever you want to call it. I hate this book with a passion and it can burn in the pits of hell for the rest of eternity. I still can't understand the book even with the audio version. It is so overly analytical. I don't suggest this book to anyone who has a life. I still have two chapters to read and I have to a dialectic journals on each chapter, including the preface, and an essay on one of the people this book talks about. And it's due in 3 days. AND my AP US history teacher told us before the last school year was over that we cannot drop the class. I think I'm going to die before this school year even starts.
Janae Graves

Founding Brothers
Who actually talks like this! This book is way to hard to comprehend and I'm in pre-ap english. I don't think that older people would even understand this book. But I guess in a way its informative but all in all its a REALLY boring book!!!!

The Island of Sea Women
    by Lisa See
    Lisa See's latest novel, The Island of Sea Women, follows the lives of Mi-ja and Young-sook, two ...
  • Book Jacket: Race Against Time
    Race Against Time
    by Jerry Mitchell
    Jerry Mitchell spent nearly three decades trailing cold cases from the Civil Rights Movement. As a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed