MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

the sage

Abysmal
This book is so boring and terrible. Its like he used the thesaurus to find the most obscure synonyms for every word, which just makes the already boring and useless book, that much worse. Warning!! Do not read this book unless you have to, because it's painful to get through
Anonymous

Worst book ever
I was coerced to read this book for AP U.S. History class. a very dull and flavorless book. the confusing language made this book very strenuous and difficult to read. also, the fine detail the author goes into does not enhance the plot whatsoever. words I would use to describe this book would be "pointless, redundant", and "difficult to read." a euphemistic way to describe this book would be "bad".
APUSH student

Not the best book
As an AP and honors student, I have never read such a boring book. I don't get what Ellis is trying to say because he goes on and on with details. Isn't this book suppose to sum up history in an exciting way? I don't recommend this book to high school students, you won't get it. I had to reread every chapter and I still didn't get it. I don't get why teachers are assigning this book. Students obviously don't understand it and it shows. I'd rather read the history textbook.
APU

I found the cure for insomniacs!
My fellow Americans, I, Dr. Wantstokillmyselfafterthisbook Jr. the 3rd, have found the CURE for INSOMNIACS! Just read this HORRID and DREADFUL book and you'll be sleeping like a baby.

Warning

May cause user to want to kill themselves.
May cause blindness.
If read more than a paragraph a day, user might fall into a coma and die a horrible book related death.

The End.
unluckystudent

Awful!
This book was so terrible! I just felt like telling the author to SPIT IT OUT already! the language is was confusing (this coming from a very advanced student). I had to write a few essays on this book and had to read the whole thing twice AND get summaries online before i even had an inkling of an idea on what it was about. I feel bad for anyone else that has to read this. Also...the author went back and forth in time and ideas it was all over the place and not interesting in the slightest.
Fellow Student

Was It Written In Japanese?
I can't understand it. I have ready many other interesting books. I have to read this over the summer and I have tried over and over to read and re-read paragraphs but I can barely grasp what Joseph Ellis is trying to say. Honestly, how can we call this literature when no normal being can understand it?
Chris

This Book Will Make You HATE History
I read (and am still reading) this book as a part of my AP Summer Assignment. Don't read this book unless you absolutely have to. I feel sympathy for the people who have been assigned this book because I have to write 8 essays based on this book. I don't see why teachers love this book so much, and I want to know how much critics were paid to say that the book is "lively and engaging." This book is as engaging as a marble statue. I normally don't have a problem with history, but I had to read many sections more than once just to understand what Ellis was trying to say, and after completing a particular chapter I couldn't remember what I had just read! The critics were wrong with this book.

Bottom Line: If you want to read an exciting history book, you've come to the wrong place. Do not read this book.
Drowned by my own drool

Shoot yourself in the head before you read this book
Seriously... has anyone gotten past the first two chapters and come out alive. Many comrades of mine fell to the evils of this book, don't let it happen to you. Hamilton,Burr,Jefferson,Washington,Adams,and Franklin formed a hate gang with their leader Joseph Ellis to kill the minds and hearts of innocent souls. Don't read it or you're soul will be trapped in the vortex of DOOM!!!!

• Book Jacket: Death in Mud Lick
    Death in Mud Lick
    by Eric Eyre
    When Eric Eyre, investigative and statehouse reporter for the Charleston Gazette-Daily, began ...
    Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water