Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

The Revolutionary Generation

by Joseph J. Ellis

Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis X
Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis

Oct 2000, 288 pages
    Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 185 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

The book is extremely well written and sheds light on very interesting issues that surrounded the founding fathers. Very insightful. However, at some points, the book does get a little boring.
stephen

I thought the book was well-written in all aspects, and shed light on many issues that i think are overlooked. Perhaps this book was so well-written that some feeble minds were inept to comprehend it.
Roxane Hughes

While I have not been much of a reader of history (more biography, fiction, and contemporary non-fiction), I found Ellis' book a fascinating account of the early days of our nation. It provides insights into today's political scene, as well as a portrait of the brotherhood of the founders! I had not been generally aware of the balanced tensions that kept our fledgling nation from dissolving even as it began...
Jared W.

Very Intresting
This book puts the early years of the American Republic in a new light for me. Mr. Ellis is a genius.
Amanda

Boring?!?!
Ok, to all those haters out there... this book is not boring! nor was it difficult to read, in the slightest!! I seriously envy you and your super easy life if you thought this was a boring or difficult read... compared to all my other assigned books, and even self-selected ones this one was a piece of cake. Not only that, but I thought it was amazing. But just because its a book about history (and we all know how the majority of those go zzzz....) Founding Brothers was awesome, and I am seriously in love with the guy who wrote it. Its brilliant. just sayin'... :P
Q

Interesting Thesis
A powerful and compelling work, which told of interesting behind-the-scenes anecdotes from the founding of the United States. Each "brother" is examined based on his accomplishments, and equally, his faults. Motives are unveiled, politics unmasked, and the reader ultimately gets the sense that Washington's (the city) political games have really never changed. This inference comes directly from the implication of the title "Founding Brothers," showing that each man was connected in some way to the others, and that together, they were able to create the American Republic we know and live in today.
Matthew

it could be worse.
I have to read this, as well as American Sphinx for my IB history class.
it could be worse...much worse. If you thought the chapters on Jefferson were boring, try reading American Sphinx.

Nevertheless, I actually somewhat enjoyed the book. While it's not exactly what I'd want to read in my spare time, I can honestly say I know a lot more about American History now that I've read this.
Mitch

Founding Brothers
This book was very good, managing to squeeze the highlight of over a decade into about 250 pages. Ellis did a wonderful job with descriptions. However there were a couple of manageable drawn-out sections. If you did not have the attention span or vocabulary to understand the book, maybe AP US History was a wrongful course placement. I am currently in AP US as a junior, and read this book by choice.

• Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
  • Book Jacket: The Last Collection
    The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin
    What it's about:
    The Last Collection by Jeanne Mackin follows the lives of two internationally ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly