Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

Memoirs of a Geisha

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Christine (11/16/04)

I am not very eliquent with words but I have to share with you how wonderful this book is. It's a quick read, only becuase it's awful to have to set it down and leave the world you have entered when you read this book. At times I was so absorbed in the story it's as if I was there. At other times, I felt as if the main character was right in front of me telling only me the story, I could hear her voice so clearly. This is the kind of book that enters your subconscious and alters your dreams for some time after reading the book. I am planning on buying this book for all of the avid readers on my Christmas list. I borrowed the book from a friend when I read it but I plan on purchasing it so I have the ability to open it and read it whenever I'm in the mood. I will read this book over and over and I'm sure I will catch different details and certain passages will have a new affect on me each time.
Nicholas Luong (11/07/04)

I am a person who dreads reading, especially a 400+ pages book! However, once i got myself into it, the beautiful storyline of Chiyo/Sayuri held me in with a vicegrip!! This story is full of metaphors and imagery. A 'geisha' is NOT a prostitute like everyone stereotypically thinks; through the story itself, you will be given light about the true life and harshness of being a geisha. Enjoy!
Adz (11/05/04)

amazing, the books opens a beautiful forgotten world to an audience who normally would never be able to see and even feel such a thing.
Anonymous (10/25/04)

Arthur Golden's novel is a remarkable achievement, reading like an actual memoir, and thoroughly researched!

Many people think a geisha is just someone who is a professional dancer or entertainer, they don't realize these girls were actually slave-cum-prostitutes. But perhaps the best proof of Mr. Golden's talent is "her" (the book is told in the first person) "explanation" of the supposed difference between a geisha and a prostitute, and Kyoto geisha's almost snobby self-elevation above geisha from the rest of Japan. Even early on, the young girl does not see herself and other geisha as prostitutes, even though their virginity is auctioned off at 13, and though after 18 they are allowed to service their customers in exchange for money or goods and services...although a high-class geisha is supposed to "save herself" for a wealthy, and hopefully powerful "danna" (regular and exclusive customer). I think Arthur's realistic portrayal of what a "good life" would be in the eyes of such an unfortunate young girl makes the entire story far more realistic and powerful. The novel brought tears to my eyes on several occasions!
Tif (10/18/04)

I loved this book and I just couldn't put it down! I've never read much about the Japanese cluture and this book has definitely caught my interest. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. Age: 18
uri (10/07/04)

it's the best novell ever written!!!!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!
kel (09/23/04)

excellent exciting book
Janet (08/19/04)

I have to say and have told everyone that this is the most fantastic book that I have ever read!! I have only 8 chapters to finish and am sad that the book is ending..so I am savoring each chapter. Arthur Golden writes in such a fashion that the era of the book absolutely makes no difference for those that would read the book jacket and see "poor fishing village in 1929" if anything the it is a must read for the culture that is taught thru out the book. And how the book makes you feel as you read it like you are there seeing everything and living thru the characters in the book!! I purchased the book and am delighted I will have it to share and reread when I want!! My only disappointment is that I cannot find where Mr. Golden has written any other books. I was so hoping to read another of his masterpieces!!

age 42