Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

Memoirs of a Geisha

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Pulkit Sahota (06/05/08)

The best book I've read yet!
I am a 17 years old student and this book was recommended to me by a friend. I found it to be the best book I've read yet. The writing style of Arthur Golden is so fascinating that I read this book for straight 4 hours. In a nutshell, a MUST read book with an everlasting impression.
Margot (03/19/08)

Memoirs of a Geisha
This book is THE best book I have ever read. I have read a lot of books, and this is by far, is the best. It is a long one. That's for sure. But it's worth it. It is truly a book that refuses to stay shut. It's like if your eyes are glued to it, because you cannot let go. I have read it once already, but I am on it a second time. That's how good it is. I have recommended it to five of my friends and they have all loved it. This book is really something that will make you fall in love with the Japanese culture. This book has romance...humor...drama all of these elements make it truly an amazing book. It is a Cinderella story that has taken on a Japanese twist. And also, it's educational if you think about it. So get a copy, and embark on your adventure back to life in 1920s Japan! :)
Mimi (03/04/08)

Excellent
I loved every thing about this book from the way it is written to the imagination and struggles they went through
Suzanne (02/28/08)

Just Beautiful !
Glorious, loved every minute of it, makes me wish I'd never read it so it would be all new to me again ! Silk Kimonos ! Gorgeous. Would now like to visit Japan some day so I can see the beauty that the book depicted for myself !
kristy (04/20/07)

the best of the best.
I've read this book 5 times now, and each time is like a new experience. I even chose to read it for a 6th time for a book report I'm doing in school. I've never read a book so incredibly detailed and enchanting. The description in this novel is just breathtaking and the relationships are so believable. It's hard to not think of Sayuri/Chiyo as a real person. You honestly feel like you are reading a biography. it's amazing; a must read.
Trish (04/04/07)

memoirs of a geisha
I thought the book was great. I haven't seen the movie, so I incapable of comparing the two. But I do personally think that in some stories, a movie can't portray a story as well as a novel can. I am hoping this is the case with this book, as you get a more personal feel to a story when you are reading a persons thought and feeling instead of having an actor try to show the emotions.
pascale (03/25/07)

great book
This book is just stunning, each description is so well detailed, I read the book twice, don't want to see the film, scared it will give me another image of what I had so well imagined.
Joman (01/14/07)

Overated?
Well, reading through all your reviews, I decided to read it myself.

All I can say is, yes, it's not too bad, but no, I could put it down and no, it wasn't so WOW like I had thought it would have been.

Golden is Golden.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

To win without risk is to triumph without glory

Y S M B, I'll S Y