Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

Memoirs of a Geisha

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Brittany (12/19/06)

Memoirs of a Geisha: My Review
This book is very well written, both in that the author is male and the culture is clearly well represented. Though this book is fictional, one can actually learn from it. This is because geisha are real and many of the things mentioned about them in Golden's book are factual. The Japanese culture is also represented in the food that they eat and the way women are treated in the novel, even as geisha women are still objects.
Kayla (11/04/06)

I was blown away!!!!
This book was amazing! I had to pick a novel to read for my English class, and was really dreading picking a book out. Then one of my classmates recommended that I read Memoirs of a Geisha. So I decided I would. We got a month to read the book and I read it in three days. Then we were asked to write and extensive report on it, including a one page long summary. I found it so hard to keep my summary on one page. I wanted to tell my teacher everything that happened to Sayuri and all the hardships she went through. In other words, the book is a magical book which enchants the reader and transports them to a land of unknown hardships, treasures, and a rare found happiness in a world of hurt and pain.
Elizabeth (09/12/06)

Take my Breathe Away
This book was incredible! I couldn't believe how addicted I became to it's never-ending magic that is spun into the thousands of words that Memoirs of a Giesha contains. I became so enthrawled by the sheer wonder of the story that I found myself relating to Sayuri in ways that I couldn't believe. Because of the pure magic in this book, well Arthur Golden, you must be an amazing magician.
Brittney Bearden (01/09/06)

Wonderful Display of Japanese Culture
I love reading and writing about cultural aspects, but I never dreamed of reading a book as astonishing as this one. It made me laugh, cry, feel uncomfortable, but it kept my attention the whole time I was reading it. I never wanted to put it down. I read it strait through many classes. If there was a choice, I'd rate this book a 10; it is my all-time favorite!!
shubhamvada (12/28/05)

lovely read
I'd been putting off reading this book, until I finally bought it from one of the airport bookshelves, and read it in two days!
Couldn't put it down. The book is fascinating, the neat, chronologic order in which the story unfolds transported me to the limited world of the geisha. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, very beautifully written and nothing beats the story.
Anastasia (10/31/05)

What a wonderful story!!!
I personaly dont like reading books, but Memoirs of Geisha captured my attension, so that i read it from cover to cover! It is an excellent book with VERY interesting plot!! I enjoyed it so much, that i read it in russian and in english! i recomend it to people who is interested in the wonderful and exciting Japanese history and life!!;p
Neha (07/28/05)

The most enchanting book ever
Memoirs of a Geisha is the most enchanting book that I have ever read. The characters in the story namely, Sayuri, Mameha and Hatsumomo are so well etched that you are not likely to forget them for a long time. You sympathise with Sayuri, appreciate Mameha's kindness towards Chiyo of we love to hate the ever vindicitive Hatsumomo. It's a must read for any book lover.
Midge (02/27/05)

Hard to believe it is Fiction...Great story...Hard to put down..looking forward to seeing the Movie when it is produced...

• Book Jacket: All Our Wrong Todays

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

When you are growing up there are two institutional places that affect you most powerfully: the church, which ...

O My D B