Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

Memoirs of a Geisha

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Virginia (05/07/04)

I adored this book. It's one of my all time favourites.
Kirsty (04/25/04)

I liked this book, I couldn't put it down. It gave great insight into the Japanese culture and history, and was very descriptive, using vivid imagery. Golden allowed his readers to see the pressures of being a geisha and what they must endure. However I feel that it ended on an anti-climax. The book was interesting and eventful, but it seemed to build up to nothing.
Liza (04/16/04)

A womens beautiful story (fiction or not).
Wonderful and explicite. I couldn't put it down.
Crystal (04/13/04)

This book slanders the proffesion of Geisha and dupes the American public into believing this work of fiction is reality.
kattie (03/16/04)

it was GREAT!
Jessica (02/25/04)

It was very entertaining and I enjoyed it very much. Everyone should read it!!!! : )
Yvette D (02/18/04)

More than being entertaining, this book was exremely informative. This is the first novel I've read that went into meticulous detail with things such as dressing in a kimono or doing hair - although sometimes tedious, I found these extremely foreign traditions simply engrossing. Sayuri was a wonderful narrator, however I feel like I never truly got to know her. She told us of her hopes and desires, yet it felt like she was accounting some things without any real emotional attatchment - something that I find impossible to believe given the crazy circumstances she went through!!! Over all, an awesome book, especially if you want to get a real taste of Japanese culture and history.
LaTaisha (02/17/04)

After reading this book I am very disappointed in. Yes it is very entertaining, but I feel the writer, Arthur Golden, copped out in some areas of the book. To me, it seems as though he didn't capture the more personal things we go through as females. I felt like he got scared and just skipped thru it just to get past a particular part. Maybe its because its a guy trying to write in a women's perspective but in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. Age 18

All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: Strangers in Their Own Land
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    After receiving a letter from his childhood friend's father, Aaron Falk, a Melbourne police officer ...

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Never read a book through merely because you have begun it

K Your F C