Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Castle

A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle

Mar 2005, 304 pages
    Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 173 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Laurie (06/05/12)

This is a wonderful story of triumph and trial. There are more than one occasions that could have changed any of these people in an extremely negative way, the author just pushes through in telling the story. She doesn't become bogged down in the process, AMAZING READ!
Charlotte Cunningham (01/16/12)

A great memoir
While I was at work a few days ago, one of my co workers said Hey Charlotte after I read your memoir Why? it made me think of another memoir called The Glass Castle, I think you should read it. Wow, I just finished The Glass Castle. It is a great memoir and reminds me a lot of my life growing up. God bless you Jeannette...Love Charlotte Cunningham
Jennifer W (12/06/11)

The Glass Castle was more than a page tuner. It paralyzes you from putting the book down! It has you clinching onto the pages to relive every memory Jeannette has from her childhood and leaves your mind wondering the rights and wrongs of parenting. When do actions speak louder than words? Allow the cultivating words to transport you into a world of disbelief filled with the strength and determination of a child.
Jomary (10/27/11)

A must read
One of the best non fiction books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down once I started it.
alyssa (10/04/11)

book review.....amazing
Julie Sausville (10/02/11)

Wonderful first time author
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish and many of my friends also loved it we have shared and discussed and laughed and couldn't wait to read her second novel Half Broke Horses, about her grandmother's life also a wonderful read I give Wall 2 thumbs up and cant wait for her to write a third :)
Barbara (09/18/11)

Reality of memory
I am amazed that there is such doubt about the memories of a three year old. Simple research reveals that early memories are tied to trauma and remain vivid throughout a lifetime. Repeated trauma, as seen at the hands of this author, link early memories to each other. Walls writes her memoir at a level that permits her free range to examine and write this memories with near complete recall. My own traumas allow me to know that. My husband has almost no recall of his earliest years, but also experienced no trauma in a warm and loving family. Walls remembers things that hurt. And lots of things hurt her. She lived an outrageous childhood. My disappointment comes with the recognition that, while she tells a great story and tells it well, I have no sense of her own emotional response to what she reports so well. My own brother was a student at Milton J Hershey, and I lived at an orphanage. When kids from MJH deride her talk there one needs to pay attention. No one there is free from childhood trauma. In the end it is about degree and triumph.doubting Walls' story is ridiculous. It's her story, however outrageous. You doubt so much happened to her? That might indicate a complete separation from what is, for some of us, the real world.
Judy (05/17/11)

Jeannette Walls: The Glass Castle
I haven't picked up a book to read for years. I started reading the Glass Castle and I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until wee hours of the night just to see what their next adventure would be. I can't believe some of the things that Jeannette's parents allowed them to do but on the other hand she grew up to be a very strong independent woman.

I loved this book and look forward to reading more of Jeannette Walls books.

• Book Jacket: Hag-Seed
    by Margaret Atwood
    There's a scene in The Tempest that many critics have concluded is indicative of Shakespeare&#...
  • Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.