Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Fran (09/26/04)

I just had the pleasure of listening to The Secret Life of Bees on audio cassette for hours as I drove from NH to NY and back. It was extraordinary to be surrounded by the sounds of the novel. I'm a fast reader and some times skip "imagery" for the story. By listening, I caught every gorgeous image. The language was truly marvelous. I will buy the audio for myself and listen again.
Charity (08/19/04)

This was a wonderful read! I was so enraptured by Lily's character! Sue Monk Kidd has such a superb way of writing that I insisted on reading where I absolutely would not be disturbed- the way Kidd uses words made me stop more than once to ponder them...and be mesmerised by them. Wow- I recommend this book for any lovers of fine literature.
Gail (08/03/04)

This novel takes the reader to a time and place where many of us have visited , yet not many want to stay. It catapults the reader into another dimension that appeals to both heart and soul. I loved it, and have recommended to others.
alex (07/18/04)

this book was good.
Kelly Van Achte (07/18/04)

the secret life of bees was a great book and i suggest it to other reading grups and individuals.
Patti Shufflebarger (05/24/04)

I loved the book. It took me 30 or 40 pages to really become totally involved in the book but it was well worth my time. There are so many wonderful conncections in the book that bring home what life is about. While Lily searched for her Mom she found love in the oddest of places for the 60"s. The bottom line for me was that true love knows no racial barriers or creed. The human spirit is capable of far more than we sometimes allow ourselves to imagine.
alyson (05/04/04)

Although I am not much of a reader, I did not want this book to end. Throughout the novel I felt as though I had built a real connection with the characters; feeling Lily's fear of her father and her past, August's love and concern for everyone, May's compassionate, yet painful outlook on life, and even June's stubborn position on her marriage to Neil. Kidd portrayed all of these characters in the most fascinating way, leaving me wishing I could invite them all to lunch for the most wonderful and most interesting conversation and meal of my life!!
Anonymous (05/03/04)

The Secret Life of Bees is one of the best books I've read in years! It made me laugh - many times and made me cry. The language is perfect. The community of women is perfect. The secret life of bees and the secret life of humans interplay beautifully. I don't want it to end. Rose

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Y S M B, I'll S Y