Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd X
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

kayjay (01/14/09)

Amazing!!
Amazing book! This novel is exceptional and Sue Monk Kidd does and amazing job of story telling. Highly recommend it
phoebe marrall (11/17/08)

The Secret Life of Bees
Contrary to much favorable comment, I found this novel one of the worst I have ever read. The story might have meat, but it lacks the sensitivity, and perhaps poetic nuances demanded by the metaphoric, italicized leads into each chapter. My chief criticism is its literary "non-value". It seems to weave back and forth between implied depth and contrivance. What fragments of "wisdom" appear seem stilted. The "grits" torture does indeed seem invented, not real. The characters are unevenly developed. The author's movement toward insight does not succeed.
bees=love :) (10/30/08)

Superb!!!
I read this book in my advanced English class and I absolutely LOVED it. This book simply tugs at your heart strings with unbending strength. The battle that this young girl has to go through with her father must be utterly unbearable, but the journey she goes through, not only in South Carolina but in her life is amazing. Not only do I recommend it to girls , but to guys as well because there is simply no denying that this story will leave you breathless. The book is just absolutely, positively, brilliant. This book will leave you begging for more.
Charlisa (05/10/07)

So Good.
This book was very interesting and it kept me excited to read.
zemo_punk_rocker_666@yahoo.com (05/09/07)

The Secret Life of Bees
The main problem of this story is about 14 year old Lily Owens who all her life she has twisted the memory around in her head. She lives with her meaner than $%&^ father, who she calls T-Ray "because daddy never fit him."
When her black stand-in-mother, Rosaleen, insults three of the biggest racists around and is taken to jail. Lily panics when she finds out Rosaleen might be killed, she runs away and springs them both free.
This book is an eccentric read and you have to read it to find out what happens to Lily and Rosaleen.
bandangel0210 (04/10/07)

Amazing in every way!
This book was truly fantastic. It was great to follow this little girl's story and it is one that I've recommended to every girl, mother and daughter in the country. Truly an American story.
Suzana (01/31/07)

The secret life of bees
I really loved this book. This is a beautiful story and a excellent book. I suggest it to friends.
Madison (10/09/06)

Success
The bonds created at birth by a mother and a daughter, are exceptionally rare, and Sue Monk Kidd has done an amazing job at showing that even the daughter of a mother she barely knew, can create even the strongest love and the most willing power to succeed in what she puts her mind to.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers