Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd X
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Brooke (09/23/03)

While the book isn't perfect - no book is, really - the story is well-thought out and imaginative, while the characters are definitely much more than names on paper. One of the major things I loved about this book is how it wasn't edited to have perfect grammar, perfect use of the language, etc. Slang, cursing, and realistic writing might seem like poor editing, but in my opinion it just makes the story much easier to understand. After all, who wants to read a formal letter when they can read a note from their best friend?
Linnie (09/01/03)

This is a beautiful and multilayered story. I identified with Lily, in that I lost my mom at a young age, and was left with an uncaring father. I developed a relationship with a friend's mom when she took me in as an older teen. The unconditional love and wisdom that she imparted to me allowed me to grow and thrive. Sue Monk Kidd has an uncanny insight into the complexities of the human spirit.
Ginny (08/16/03)

Simplistic, poorly edited, racist.
Conni C. (08/07/03)

Ireally loved this book and the women. I want to go live with May, August and June.
Robin (07/07/03)

An exceptional read. Outstanding character development made me feel I really knew those folks. The emotions were portrayed in an intense manner. I can't say enough about the characters. The women in the book who were living life with the bees, very interesting learning about bees, I must say I know more now then I ever had. I just can't say enough about this book and the writer. Highly recommend!
Ellie (06/16/03)

The Secret Life of Bees is a compeling tale of family strife, civil rights, Southern history, and is also a beautiful coming of age tale of 14 year old Lily. With vivid imagry and strong, complex characters, Kidd's novel envelops you in the sights, sounds and smells of Lily's world. I couldn't put the book down and cherished how each and every chapter brought you closer to the heart of Lily and the calendar sisters. This clever inventive tale is one of the best I've read in ages.
Nancy Cowan (06/13/03)

Superlative writing. ThisI wonder if any other readers see a parallel between this book and "Clover" by Dori Sanders--another SC writer? There is this parallel in the stories, as well as a twist-- Both stories transpire in the shadows of peach tree orchards. Any comments?
Debbie Rios (06/10/03)

This book was awesome!! My best friend lent me her book and urged me to read it. I couldn't put it down until I was done. I'm going to go buy several copies of the book to share with other friends and family.

• Book Jacket: The Art of the Wasted Day
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes