MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

kimpete (04/13/05)

Secret Life of Bees
I was hoping by the length that it would be quick read but I didn't feel like picking it up whenever I had the chance. I felt it took too long to reach the denouement and found myself wondering what's the author's point in writing this book. I found it rather unbelievable at times (Would a grown women at any time leave her life/home to go with a teenager no matter what her race?) but was definitely rooting for Lily and Rosaleen to make it work in a new place. Not a top recommendation but not too bad either. I know people who enjoyed more than I.
Timothy Martinez (02/22/05)

Beautiful Story. Great Drama and what a life for Lily. I compare my life with hers. The way Lily suffered is heartbraking. This story teaches you to love and think about others more than yourself. I love you Corinne Quinette. I think about you night and day.

- Timothy Martinez of Hahnville, Louisiana
Amy (02/17/05)

What an enjoyable read! I loved the part when Lily examines her piss in the woods. Really showed how we should all get along.
Corinna Bonk (02/07/05)

This book is SO heartwarming. It truly gives you hope of life and its inspiring, as well as uplifting. From the sympathetic storyline to the amazingly put together characters... its, a must read by all!
Larissa (02/04/05)

I thought this book was a fantastic piece of writing which Kidd did an excellent work on. Her words and the way Lily is portraied in this novel is absolutely wonderful. The setting is extremly overwhelming and i think this novel should be read by anyone who likes books based on Coming-to-age type feels. Age: 15.
Monique Kennedy (01/20/05)

It's alright for what it is but it aint all that.
Annie (01/14/05)

age 14:This was one of the best books I have ever read it was an inspirational book about a girl my age growing up in South Carolina during a rough period, and also evolving from a girl into a women without the guidence to get her through, We were just given this book to read as a school thing I loved it so much I was on a panel at our local library and I also tried kneeling on grits! (don't do it! its very painfull) this book is probaly one of my Favorites!
Anna (01/12/05)

this is a realllllly good book that has one of the best messages for young girls that any book could have. i highly reccomend this to any one looking for a good enjoyable reading book!

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

H Now B C?