Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd X
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Raci (01/04/05)

I tHiNk ThIs BoOk Is So SuPeR!!! for real its great there is a point like in every book you fall out of the liking but its not that bad! i had to read it for cont. lit. i think its a little over rated but it still deserves its perks
Anne (12/06/04)

unlike many comming of age tales The Secret Life of Bees is a fast paced ride. Young Lilly searches to find the means to cope with the desertion and guilt that has weighted her down her entire life. Sue Monk Kidd writing is crisp and vivid. This book beautilfully expolres a very human search for motherly love, and a hive to belong to.

Jenny (11/28/04)

She did a wonderful job of keeping the readers' attention. Quality book that I would recommend to anyone
Nicole Eggers (10/27/04)

This book jumps straight into the innate need for a moternal figure in every young girls life. KIDD did an excellent job writting this book. The bee metaphores that resemble Lily's life is so real!- I just loved it!!!
Jeremy (10/23/04)

I loved the book. She wrote the book where it made you could picture yourself in it. Great Job
Anonymous (10/13/04)

I loved the fact that Lily is a teenager, not wallowing in her problems, but solving them head on. Most teenaged characters are never responsible for their problems and themselves. Lily proved me that this sterotype can and will be broken.
Suzanne M. (10/08/04)

This is one of those books that I probably would not have discovered and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club that I belong to, and I've very glad to have come across it. I would heartily recommend it, because the author's writing was fluid and full of gorgeous imagery. I am an AVID reader, and this is the first book in a long time that truly made me feel like I was THERE watching the events of the book take place. There are so many books out there that I rarely read any more than once, but this one is now at the top of my list of "would read again."
John Hensley (09/27/04)

The best novel by a Southern author in decades!

• Book Jacket: Timekeepers
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

As Bright as Heaven
    by Susan Meissner

A story of a family reborn through loss and love in Philadelphia during the flu epidemic of 1918.

Force of Nature
    by Jane Harper

A riveting, tension-driven thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

Win The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore

A gripping novel from the award-winning author of For Today I Am a Boy.

G O T P, B The P, F T P