MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Raci (01/04/05)

I tHiNk ThIs BoOk Is So SuPeR!!! for real its great there is a point like in every book you fall out of the liking but its not that bad! i had to read it for cont. lit. i think its a little over rated but it still deserves its perks
Anne (12/06/04)

unlike many comming of age tales The Secret Life of Bees is a fast paced ride. Young Lilly searches to find the means to cope with the desertion and guilt that has weighted her down her entire life. Sue Monk Kidd writing is crisp and vivid. This book beautilfully expolres a very human search for motherly love, and a hive to belong to.

Jenny (11/28/04)

She did a wonderful job of keeping the readers' attention. Quality book that I would recommend to anyone
Nicole Eggers (10/27/04)

This book jumps straight into the innate need for a moternal figure in every young girls life. KIDD did an excellent job writting this book. The bee metaphores that resemble Lily's life is so real!- I just loved it!!!
Jeremy (10/23/04)

I loved the book. She wrote the book where it made you could picture yourself in it. Great Job
Anonymous (10/13/04)

I loved the fact that Lily is a teenager, not wallowing in her problems, but solving them head on. Most teenaged characters are never responsible for their problems and themselves. Lily proved me that this sterotype can and will be broken.
Suzanne M. (10/08/04)

This is one of those books that I probably would not have discovered and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club that I belong to, and I've very glad to have come across it. I would heartily recommend it, because the author's writing was fluid and full of gorgeous imagery. I am an AVID reader, and this is the first book in a long time that truly made me feel like I was THERE watching the events of the book take place. There are so many books out there that I rarely read any more than once, but this one is now at the top of my list of "would read again."
John Hensley (09/27/04)

The best novel by a Southern author in decades!

• Book Jacket: The North Water
    The North Water
    by Ian McGuire
    In early 1859 the crew of the Volunteer, a Greenland-bound whaler, is making the most of the last ...
  • Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...

The Children
    by Ann Leary

With remarkable wit and insight, Ann Leary pulls back the curtain on one blended family.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun