Reader reviews and comments on The Secret Life of Bees, plus links to write your own review.

The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd X
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Secret Life of Bees

Raci (01/04/05)

I tHiNk ThIs BoOk Is So SuPeR!!! for real its great there is a point like in every book you fall out of the liking but its not that bad! i had to read it for cont. lit. i think its a little over rated but it still deserves its perks
Anne (12/06/04)

unlike many comming of age tales The Secret Life of Bees is a fast paced ride. Young Lilly searches to find the means to cope with the desertion and guilt that has weighted her down her entire life. Sue Monk Kidd writing is crisp and vivid. This book beautilfully expolres a very human search for motherly love, and a hive to belong to.

Jenny (11/28/04)

She did a wonderful job of keeping the readers' attention. Quality book that I would recommend to anyone
Nicole Eggers (10/27/04)

This book jumps straight into the innate need for a moternal figure in every young girls life. KIDD did an excellent job writting this book. The bee metaphores that resemble Lily's life is so real!- I just loved it!!!
Jeremy (10/23/04)

I loved the book. She wrote the book where it made you could picture yourself in it. Great Job
Anonymous (10/13/04)

I loved the fact that Lily is a teenager, not wallowing in her problems, but solving them head on. Most teenaged characters are never responsible for their problems and themselves. Lily proved me that this sterotype can and will be broken.
Suzanne M. (10/08/04)

This is one of those books that I probably would not have discovered and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club that I belong to, and I've very glad to have come across it. I would heartily recommend it, because the author's writing was fluid and full of gorgeous imagery. I am an AVID reader, and this is the first book in a long time that truly made me feel like I was THERE watching the events of the book take place. There are so many books out there that I rarely read any more than once, but this one is now at the top of my list of "would read again."
John Hensley (09/27/04)

The best novel by a Southern author in decades!

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund