Reader reviews and comments on The Lovely Bones, plus links to write your own review.

The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones

Jun 2002, 288 pages
    Apr 2004, 352 pages

There are currently 116 reader reviews for The Lovely Bones

The Yorkster (08/09/04)

If things get too hyped they never live up to expectations.

This book suprised me because it's a 'tweener for me. I am waiting for another book and this is the one I picked up in the interm.

I laughed, I cried...and it's a different writing perspective than normal.

How many of us have heard, seen or read stories of teenagers that get killed??? But, when you get a perspective from the person who is killed it changes the perspective you read from.

Great read.
Anonymous (07/28/04)

Although I enjoyed this book, the hype to read it was overwhelming. I thought the book was definately OVERRATED!!! --> Keep your expectations low and you will have a better experience.
Melody (07/17/04)

I was recommended this book by a friend. I rarely read fiction, choosing to allocate my precious reading time to biographies.

But I was drawn in by the back cover, opened the book and found myself in a different world - Susie's world. I found this book hauntingly beautiful, even now, writing about it I can feel the emotion bubbling up. Such a poignant subject and written with such love.

I felt considerable affection for Susie. I felt I could slip into her skin and feel her hurt and pain. This book brought tears to my eyes on three or four occasions. There were heart stopping moments too....

I did struggle however with one aspect, where Susie "visits" earth again somewhere near the end, but all in all this book affected me in a way no other book has done.

I'm 44, I've read a fair few books, but I think this is the one I shall remember more than any. Its an experience, pure and simple.
Catherine Gronkowski (05/27/04)

When i was reading this book i couldn't put it down
emmanuelle Marin (05/18/04)

im only 17, and i dont really like to read books... but with lovely bones i was into it.
the idea of using both world (heaven and earth) is really great! and when you already know what Alice Sebold suffered in her life and that the woman befor actually had been raper dimemberise (maybe the idea of the death of Susie, the main charactere), you think its amazing how she wrote about it.
i really enjoyed reading this book.
what i like the most to, is how the charactere of every sincle person in the book is discribe in details from kids to adults and adults in the real life and problems. Alice Sebold is showing how parents could react infront of this horrible act, that is rape and losing a child... how its hard to have hope when you know your child wont come back for ever.
its really well written and also got deep images between each line of the novel.
great jobs...
Diana (05/15/04)

I gave up a whole Saturday to read The Lovely Bones and felt cheated and short changed at the end of the day. I am talking about the "cranked out" ending of the novel. I felt like it was tacked on to the end because the author couldn't pull it together any other way. However, I thought there were many other ways it could have ended than the unsatifactory way it did. The novel also took on the tiresome spin of feminisn--the mother who had to go find out who she really was--and desert her family. Haven't we read this character many times before in the last 20 years. It reminded me of the unsympathetic main character in The Deep End of the Ocean. Aren't there any mother characters in novels these days who do the hard work of staying in a painful situation because that's what the family needs.
Classic (05/11/04)

the rating tells everthing already!!
unarex (05/07/04)

There is not a single paragraph, line, or image in this book that is not a cliche. This is a typical MFA workshop trope- melodramatic, a POV no one will disagree with (rape is bad, as if we didn't already know), cardboard cut out characters, and just flat out dull, terrible, banal writing. If Sebold wanted her readers to sympathize, she should have 1st of all made a 14 yr old speak like one, and not in the drippings of a bad confessional poet. Secondly, the reason people like this dreck is because it agrees with their sentiment, but anyone who reads real literature with the capital "L" will see this for the crap it is. Sorry- the wannabe poet girl who reads the Bell Jar and wears all black and then surrenders her body for a half hour so the snoozer lead character, Susie, can enter her body and have sex with the first guy she kissed is one of the most stupid things I've read in a long, long while. And while we are on the topic, since when did an 14 yr old refer to a fellow sibling as having "creamy breasts", "Rose-petal shaped eyes"? Putting aside the fact that both those statements are cliches, I've never met a 14 yr old who spoke that way about her sibling. The sad thing is that I never, never would have allowed this junk to be published, and what is even sadder is that people think this is quality literature. And what really is the saddest thing of all- was this written by some angst teenager? (setting aside the fact that the prose is written on that of a junior-high level) no. Sebold was in fact well into her thirties when she penned this tripe. This is the sort of stuff you expect to see from melodramatic teenaged girls, not grown adults well nearing her forties, if in fact she's not there already.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All