Reader reviews and comments on The Lovely Bones, plus links to write your own review.

The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones

Jun 2002, 288 pages
    Apr 2004, 352 pages

There are currently 116 reader reviews for The Lovely Bones

Annette (10/07/04)

I had never even heard of this book before. I came across it in the library and thought it looked like an easy read. This is not the type of book that I usually read. I love reading but have never been moved enough to cry. This book made me bawl. I loved it. What a beautiful read. I have now recommended this to many friends and students I work with( I work in a high school )something I never have done before. I will noe be looking for more of Alice Sebold's writings.
Anonymous (10/05/04)

Hi I am supposed to be doing a research paper over The Lovely BOnes and I cannot seem to think of a topic. Does anyone have any suggestions? ANY ideas or comments would be helpful!
Dunzy (09/20/04)

Maybe it was all the hype that did it, but I was disappointed by this book. I rate it high for its description of family life and (especially!) for its imaginative view of heaven, but the plot just clanked. Susie's last name should have been Creamcheese. Her "voice" didn't ring true for me.
Anna (09/20/04)

The first sentence grabbed me then I could not put it down! What a tragic, yet at the same time hopeful story. I know I will be re-reading this one again in a few months knowing that I will be just as moved as I was when I first read it..........much like I when I watch a favorite movie again. I rarely recommend books to anyone but did tell several of my friends about this one. The ones who bought and read it liked it very much.
Lex (09/16/04)

Lori (09/01/04)

This has to be the most over-hyped book I've read.
It's painfully boring, non-descript and uneventful.
If this is required reading in schools, you're going to turn a lot of kids into non-readers.
DWO (08/19/04)

Everyone knows someone who has had a child that has been killed, either by a childhood disease or by tragic circumstances, as in The Lovely Bones. We can only imagine what the parents, siblings, loved ones and the community do to cope with the loss. By reading this book, one gets a painful insight into what that loss must be like. The devastation that the parents feel is palpable....I have a young child of Susie's age and it is incomprehensible that I could go on living, obsessing about what kind of terror and pain that she would be feeling at the time of abduction. The parents' imaginings of how Susie met her end is, in this case, as bad as they think it is.

I loved the fact that it was narrated by Susie herself and as I went through the book, I held out a hope that this is how heaven could be...passed on relatives watching from above, intervening when necessary (like in Buckley's garden), showing themselves when they think it would help (like when Susie's reflection was caught up in the broken glass of a ship in her father's study when he had his breakdown).

I listened to the book on tape and it included a fairly in-depth interview with Anne Sebold herself and when you know her personal story (raped, as a virgin, when she was 18), you get an insight into why this is such a dark book.

This book will be with me for awhile and I look forward to her next project.
amanda lang (08/11/04)

this book is so good it should be bought by everyone. if you have not read this book yet then you need to.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

by Paulette Jiles

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.