Reader reviews and comments on The Lovely Bones, plus links to write your own review.

The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold X
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Jun 2002, 288 pages
    Apr 2004, 352 pages

There are currently 116 reader reviews for The Lovely Bones

Kyla (01/08/05)

The book The Lovely Bones by: Alice Sebold is a major hit with me. It’s a haunting book that touches you at the heart and some points it even brought tears to my eyes. This story of a 14-year-old girl named Susie Salmon, who is lured by her neighbor on her way home from school into a field where she is raped, murdered, and then dismembered. After her death she has to watch her family fall apart right in front of her eyes. This book is narrated from Susie’s viewpoint in a heaven personalized for her. I wont spoil the book but I would definitely recommend this to anyone. It was a risky topic to write about but Alice did it with passion and the book is smoothly written making it an easy read once you get into it.
Sharon (01/06/05)

This book is told who the eyes of the victim of murder, it was beautifully written and gave a wonderful insite into what the characters of the book go through. I expected it to be very sad and depressing but found it quite the opposite.

I thought this story was even more amazing after reading that Alice Sebold was the victim of rape herself as a child. I think it took incredible courage to write this story. Bravo!
meliza (12/09/04)

The truth is that life is like this. The novel depicts what truly goes on after such a tragic event, you cry, you suffer, and you move on. Ms.Sebold wrote with an honesty that i envy, I don't know how she had the stomach to write it but i thank her for doing so. The Lovely Bones is a great work of literature that i know I will always remember.
Kree (12/06/04)

I was extremely dissapointed with this book. I was expecting much more than I received, which was a clichéd story about a girl watching her family deal with her murder, in ways such as; trying to find her murderer and having an affair. The plot throughout the book is weak and the writing lacks description and poise. It may be a good book for sappy twelve year olds, but it should not be taken as a serious work of literature.
Angela (11/16/04)

This book was fascinating. I could not put it down. I think I read it in a three day span. It's been awhile since I have read it and the book came up is discussion in my Creative Writing class. So I am going to read it again the next chance I get. I was kept wondering what was going to happen next throughout the whole book. As the reader, I really felt for the family and wanted them to catch the killer. I also felt for Susie. What an innocent child. A beautifully written novel that I will keep on my shelf for a lifetime!!
christine (11/15/04)

it was great. i was crying in most of the parts just reading it. I had to read it for a book club along with 3 other people for a reading class in college. PICK UP THE BOOK IT IS ALSOME!!!!!
Lindsay (10/25/04)

I loved this book. Alice Sebold's prose is spectacular and the emotional level she writes on is incredible. The Lovely Bones deserves all the praise that it recieves. While this book is centered around a tragic death, feelings of hope and joy are felt while reading this; Alice did a GREAT first book!

P.S. If you liked The Lovely Bones, I strongly recommend that you read Lucky, a memoir about Alice's own rape while she was in college. It's also beautifully written and should defenitly be featured on this site.
Valerie (10/07/04)

The Lovely Bones is the best book that i have ever read! I love how the author used great details to really make the book very interesting. I could not put it down without finishing it. I

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund