Reader reviews and comments on The Lovely Bones, plus links to write your own review.

by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold X
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Jun 2002, 288 pages
    Apr 2004, 352 pages

There are currently 116 reader reviews for The Lovely Bones

ry (07/29/08)

The Lovely Bones
I thought this was a horrible book. I can see why people like it but i just can't get into it. My friend recommended the book and i thought it would be really good by i was disappointed by its uneventful plot of this book.
Julie Z (03/13/08)

It might make a better movie...
The movie is scheduled to come out in 2009. Although there were many aspects of the book that I liked--her description of the afterlife, and of the disintegration of a family beset by tragedy--there were many times I found myself murmuring, "Stop, stop, enough. Where's the editor?" I don't want to reveal to reveal too much in case you haven't read it, but the much of the last third of the book could be eliminated to good advantage. I have great hopes that Peter Jackson, the director of the Lord of the Rings movies, can tighten up the story line.

I recommend "Lucky", also by Alice Sebold. It is her memoir of the rape, and consequent trial she experienced as a young woman. In "The Lovely Bones" I felt the author was just telling us what we want to hear, that Grampa will be waiting for us on the other shore, that justice will out, that our wounds will heal, etc.
Toni (Australia) (03/13/08)

The Lovely Bones
Wow! I started this book, and could not put it down. I cried all the way through it, yet marveled at the same time at how the author managed to write in the perspective of someone in heaven. I loved the way she described heaven. I would, and have, recommended this book. I thank the author, Alice Sebold, for taking the time to write this wonderful story for us to enjoy.
Evelien (04/23/07)

depressing and poor
I thought the story of the book is very good, though the way it's set is not what I could call "Lovely". I had to read this book for school, but I regret the fact that I've chosen this one. Every time I tried to finish the book, or just read further, I just rejected to open it. It's so depressing to read, and it's not what you can call exciting.

Though I understand that other people could like it. There is even a director (Peter Jackson himself) who is planning to make a movie out of this story, let's just hope it'd be better than the book. Though I'm quite curious about how the movie will become.
Stacey (11/07/06)

This book was very touching the way she watched her family and friends from her Heaven. It was a coming-of-age story that took place after death for Susie and for her parents and siblings had to in life. It presents a new view of the afterlife. Once her family is back together and done grieving, Susie moves on to live her own life in her Heaven. It brings the dead to life again. It tells how death affects everyone around it, near and far. It makes you really thankful for the life you have. It tells of the long and painstaking process of grieving and that no one will ever get over such a tragic loss but that it is ok to move on with your life. Sebold’s view of the afterlife is very optimistic; she believes that everyone has their own version of Heaven with the things they want, in Susie’s case, a duplex, athletic field, the high school, and no boys.It does have a happy ending, but with the death of Susie’s murderer and her family moving on. It makes you re-think the usual fantasy “happy ending” as something other than, “they all lived happily ever after.” It talks of good and evil living side-by-side in a community with most not knowing. . It is ironic how the author makes you feel as if you are a member of the community where this took place and you can feel the love, loss, happiness, grief and every emotion in between coming from all the characters. It is so touching it does bring tears to your eyes at some points. It makes you realize how terrible life can be, yet still wonderful at the same time. Telling the story from Susie’s view in her heaven is taking a bit of a risk but she does it so well, you’d think many books were written like that.
Devin (11/07/06)

Great Read!
The book was Amazing. I found that the character of Susie was a realistic person. All of the characters in the novel were well developed and their branching stories added depth to the entire account of Susie Salmon.

The Supernatural element was outstanding, involving Heaven and what not... It just gave an even greater meaning to the whole novel.

All in all, just a heartrending story that was super deep.
Nicole (11/07/06)

This book has touched me in so many ways. I realize that everyone in your life is important even if you don't know them all that well and you will feel sad when they aren't around anymore. For example, Ruth. She didn't even realize that she would miss Suzie if she were to not be around until Suzie was dead. This book made me realize a lot of things that I can't even explain. It showed me that life goes on even if something terrible happens to you and that doesn't mean that you have to forget about your loss.
Amber (09/25/06)

The Lovely Bones
This book is so stunning. I cried so hard for Susie, and her family. It is a beautiful book that I highly recommend to everyone.

This will go on my Favorites shelf, and while I recommend it to everyone, I won't loan this copy out, it has to stay with me.

I've always thought my Grandmother who passed when I was a baby looks down on me watching me as I've grown...this book was a comfort!!

As for the monopoly piece... I thought her father moved it to help Buckley understand that Susie wouldn't be coming back for it?

• Book Jacket: Only Child