Reader reviews and comments on The Austere Academy, plus links to write your own review.

The Austere Academy

Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 5

by Lemony Snicket

The Austere Academy

Aug 2000, 208 pages
    Apr 2008, 240 pages

There are currently 61 reader reviews for The Austere Academy

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (06/23/13)

often hilarious
The Austere Academy is the fifth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, Mr Poe deposits the siblings at a boarding school, the Prufrock Preparatory School, with an advanced computer that will protect them from Count Olaf. Or will it? Having already suffered the loss of their parents, the threat of marriage, slave labour, hypnosis, and the murder of their Uncle Monty and Aunt Josephine at the hands of the evil Count Olaf and his nefarious assistants, the siblings are ever-vigilant of his reappearance. Luckily these well-mannered and uncomplaining children are also very resourceful: Violet invents, Klaus reads and Sunny bites. Snicket’s tone throughout is apologetic, sincere and matter-of-fact as he relates the unfortunate events in the children’s lives; his imaginative and even surreptitiously educational style will hold much appeal for younger readers. Snicket’s word and phrase definitions are often hilarious. This installment, the orphans manage to make friends with two triplets who are in a similar situation. But it isn’t enough to save them from horrible living conditions, enduring boring lessons and nasty teasing classmates, or in Sunny’s case, secretarial duties, as well as cruel punishments like torture by violin recital, toe-nipping crabs and nightly running exercises. Violet turns her inventing skills to staple manufacture, Klaus manages to read important notes without his glasses and Sunny’s vocabulary seems to be improving. The alliterative titles are a delight and Brett Helquist provides his usual wonderfully evocative illustrations. What will happen to the orphans now that they have been expelled? No doubt the sixth installment, The Ersatz Elevator, will reveal all.
A reader (01/17/11)

An okay book
I rate this book a 4 because as I have been reading this series in order is sure does seem like Count Olaf always gets away from Mr.Poe and is always discovered during the story. Count Olaf hasn't got the money yet but he always comes up with schemes that he think will work and never does. He always seems to show up every where the Baudelaires are being taking care of. So I rate this a 4 because of ALL the events basically being the same except in different places with different characters.
readerr:') (01/03/11)

greaaat!:D
I really enjoyed this book and I am doing a project on it too! The chapters have all got a good atmosphere.
beatrice (the one with the sugar bowl) (04/18/08)

I read these books 3-4 years ago and having read them recently i think that the book, to a younger reader seems serious, the only way i can think to describe them now is very funny. saying this they are good but...
count Olaf is hilarious and the lengths that he goes to to get money are ludicrous. he calls the children idiotic nicknames eg. dentist's nightmare. the way older characters keep returning eg. Bruce, is also annoying.
Lisa (03/19/07)

Lisa's Review
Lemony Snicket has written yet another fun and adventurous book about the Baudelaires…can’t wait for the next adventure!
I love series of unfortunate events book (01/14/07)

It is a great book
This is an awesome book. Wait till you read about Count Olaf's newest technique to steal the Baudelaire fortune. They also meet some new friends and pretty soon, they will discover a mystery that is going to have them thinking for hours.
Violet (10/30/06)

A wounderful Book.
I liked this book because it gave me something to do with my time. It may hurt the heart but is very good to a hardy, who may need to become a softy. I highly recommend this book to everyone with the time to simply sit down. If you are not a good reader, and therefore think you cannot read it, get the book-on-tape.
Cherry cassidy (07/25/06)

Marvellous!!!!!!
The book was really great!!!!! I can't stop myself reading it!!! It was Aweome but I'm not contented about it,I want more!!!!! Thanks for writing this book!!!!

I REALLY LOVE IT!!!

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review