Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 51 reader reviews for The Red Tent

Sarah

Great book
I thought this book was really good and well written. Even though i am not a very religious person, i still understood it and loved the story line.
chick

Chick Book
This book was given to my friend's 15 year old son as a required book to read over the summer. Very inappropriate for 15 year old boys, but I loved it. I would recommend it to any female. I just hope it isn't taken as Gospel. The story is not very flattering to Jacob and his sons.
Rachel

The Red Tent
One of my favourite books! Many novels don't seem so good the second time you read them, but this one is worth re-reading over and over. It really brings the ancient world to life. I like the way Diamant gives Jacob a realistic lifespan; Genesis is in my opinion the best part of the Bible, but the characters' incredibly long lifespans do seem rather ludicrous.

In the Red Tent, Jacob only pretends to be peeved about the fact that Leah is his first bride; I can objectively see that this is a clever twist, but being a Rachel, I prefer the traditional interpretation, that Jacob was genuinely angry. (No doubt many maidens named Leah will disagree with me!) That's the one single flaw of the novel. Anyway, I'm glad the text says Jacob was fair of face.
Sara

This book was amazing!
Clair

This book was great! I am currently doing a book report on it for school, in my Sophomore English class. I hope the mature topics of this book will not scare off my peers!
Tisha

This was a wonderful book. I dint want to put it down, the story just grabs you and pulls you in till the end. Its a remarkable story that you will want to read over and over. It is not hard to imagine that this story actually took place.
Olivia

I had a hard time putting this one down. It was so neat to see a different perspective on the story of Dinah. It is so unlike the story in the Bible, yet you can still believe that it might be true. I would never have been able to think of a bible story as so romantic and interesting. Anita Diamante is a very talented writer.
theGoddessIsWatching

The Red Tent blew me away. This passionate love story is an amazing read for people of all ages. At the age of thirteen it is great to know that they are books out there empowering women. The intense description of the book gave me a clear visual of what a women's likfe was like in that time period. Diamant's use of words painted a vivid picture in my mind and I could almost smell and taste everything she described. Whether you are looking for a book on mother/daughter relationships, relationships between siblings, or simply a self empowering story The Red Tent is a book you should defintely read.

The Noise of Time
    by Francis Spufford

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O