Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for The Red Tent

someone

this book sucks! it drags on and on and you cant get into it. dont read it, dont waste your time.
Habib R Achmed

This was horrible.
Rose sonup

I think The Red Tent was a beautifully woven tale, a remarkable tapestry of the fictional life of Dinah. At 50 years old, Istill flinch at the graphic descriptions of some personal behaviors and intimate relationships. Todays good fiction seems to need these types of graphic descriptions to sell the literature. I wish the author could have left out some of the sexual descriptions and used a different method of writing to get her point across. Authors must keep in mind the delicate minds of some of the young readers that are reading adult literature today. I believe the males in Biblical times treated women unfairly at times. Many times. God breathed love has an eternal perspective and I prefer to believe that the evolving spirituality of Jacob and Joseph was more loving toward their women. We don't know for sure. I still want to believe in the goodness of these men. I personally would feel it is sacrilege to defame these Biblical men. Women are healers for sure, but the balance between men and women must be equal - the author's pendulum swings too much in favor of the godliness of women. It is not the way to the perfect love I want to seek after.
Kristen O.

HI. I would just like to say that I enjoyed this book. I just couldn't put in down! I thought it was very interseting,and just a really good story.I mean every one knows that jacob had one daughter (and weather it is true or not) was still a good book. I'm not trying to trash anyone eleses opoion but with a title like 'the red tent' and if you read the back it should tell you it wasn't ment for guys. I mean I'm only 13 and I fully understood what was going on. you should totally read it. you wont regret it!!!

• Book Jacket: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    by Olga Tokarczuk
    A subversive feminist noir mystery set in a remote Polish village, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of...
  • Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...
  • Book Jacket: The Liar
    The Liar
    by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
    The Liar is a book that will make its readers uncomfortable by design; set in modern-day Israel, it ...

The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste

"A brilliant novel, lyrically lifting history towards myth. It's also compulsively readable."
    —Salman Rushdie

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S