Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for The Red Tent

lana

This book is a well written, interesting portrayal of the womens perspective in the biblical times. We must remember that this is a novel, never presuming to be factual. We have no written record of what womens lives were like then, so this is as good an idea as any other. If nothing else, this book helps us realize that there are other points of view, and many untold stories out there waiting to be told. I loved the Red Tent.
Stephanie W.

This book tell a unique story which was challenging to put down. The author uses empathy and certainty to help portray Dinah as a loving and trustworthy character. This book definetly receives my vote and deserves a standing ovation!
Anna

This book is one of the best I've read. It not only creates a story for one woman in the bible, it gives the reader a peek into the past in a time when we can only imagine what happened. I think that this novel should be read by anyone for inspiration. Also I feel that how Diamant takes one sentence in the bible and creates a whole novel is amazing.
Conni C.

Exactly what emma filtness said above! Wonderful, moving, interseting, page turner, sad it was over. Can't say enough good things about this book. Read it! You won't be sorry.

Conni C.
gloria barkan

I have just finished Woman At the Well by Dr. Obrey Hendricks, these two books are two of the most insightful, sensative, descriptive and moving books on women in the bible I have ever read. I read, I pray, I study. The Red Tent is really a 10 +
Jo

EXCELLENT! Well written...descriptive account of women's lives that transcends history and erases the distance of time. Universal knowledge from BC to AD. A book I recommended to my daughter and granddaughter.
Julie

The Red Tent is an amazing book because it provides information about patriarchial societies while keeping the attention of the reader, especially those whom are not fond of historical books. It displays a unique outlook on the ideas of males and females within the time and setting of the book. This book moved me through the emotional and physical struggles throughout the book. The relationships which were illustrated between the women throughout the book are comparable to my own relationships with women. I was able to relate to many of the feelings which Dinah felt throughout the course of the book. This book is fabulous, everyone should read it!
emma filtness

I found this book extremely fascinating and emotionally moving. I love the way it speaks of womanhood, of the secrets and mysteries of the female race,of the ups and downs and the struggles of being female. It was extremely interesting to learn of the ancient traditions and beliefs of the time and culture in which the book is set.This book is fascinating, devastating, moving, entertaining and unmissable!

• Book Jacket: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    by Olga Tokarczuk
    A subversive feminist noir mystery set in a remote Polish village, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of...
  • Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...
  • Book Jacket: The Liar
    The Liar
    by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
    The Liar is a book that will make its readers uncomfortable by design; set in modern-day Israel, it ...

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste

"A brilliant novel, lyrically lifting history towards myth. It's also compulsively readable."
    —Salman Rushdie

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S