Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for The Red Tent

lana

This book is a well written, interesting portrayal of the womens perspective in the biblical times. We must remember that this is a novel, never presuming to be factual. We have no written record of what womens lives were like then, so this is as good an idea as any other. If nothing else, this book helps us realize that there are other points of view, and many untold stories out there waiting to be told. I loved the Red Tent.
Stephanie W.

This book tell a unique story which was challenging to put down. The author uses empathy and certainty to help portray Dinah as a loving and trustworthy character. This book definetly receives my vote and deserves a standing ovation!
Anna

This book is one of the best I've read. It not only creates a story for one woman in the bible, it gives the reader a peek into the past in a time when we can only imagine what happened. I think that this novel should be read by anyone for inspiration. Also I feel that how Diamant takes one sentence in the bible and creates a whole novel is amazing.
Conni C.

Exactly what emma filtness said above! Wonderful, moving, interseting, page turner, sad it was over. Can't say enough good things about this book. Read it! You won't be sorry.

Conni C.
gloria barkan

I have just finished Woman At the Well by Dr. Obrey Hendricks, these two books are two of the most insightful, sensative, descriptive and moving books on women in the bible I have ever read. I read, I pray, I study. The Red Tent is really a 10 +
Jo

EXCELLENT! Well written...descriptive account of women's lives that transcends history and erases the distance of time. Universal knowledge from BC to AD. A book I recommended to my daughter and granddaughter.
Julie

The Red Tent is an amazing book because it provides information about patriarchial societies while keeping the attention of the reader, especially those whom are not fond of historical books. It displays a unique outlook on the ideas of males and females within the time and setting of the book. This book moved me through the emotional and physical struggles throughout the book. The relationships which were illustrated between the women throughout the book are comparable to my own relationships with women. I was able to relate to many of the feelings which Dinah felt throughout the course of the book. This book is fabulous, everyone should read it!
emma filtness

I found this book extremely fascinating and emotionally moving. I love the way it speaks of womanhood, of the secrets and mysteries of the female race,of the ups and downs and the struggles of being female. It was extremely interesting to learn of the ancient traditions and beliefs of the time and culture in which the book is set.This book is fascinating, devastating, moving, entertaining and unmissable!

• Book Jacket: How to Make Friends with the Dark
    How to Make Friends with the Dark
    by Kathleen Glasgow
    Don't go to bed angry; make up after fights; always say I love you – you don't know when ...
    Red Birds
    by Mohammed Hanif
    Mohmmed Hanif's Red Birds is part Catch-22, part Slaughterhouse-Five, part Kafka's The Castle, and ...
  • Book Jacket: Endeavour
    Endeavour
    by Peter Moore
    Miriam-Webster defines a biography as "a usually written history of a person's life." One might ...
  • Book Jacket: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
    On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
    by Ocean Vuong
    On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous, the bold and bracing debut novel by acclaimed poet Ocean Vuong, ...

The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin

A vivid novel about the intense rivalry between iconic fashion designers Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli.

Patsy
    by Nicole Dennis-Benn

A haunting depiction of immigration and womanhood, and the silent threads of love.

Win The Guest Book

The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense."
—Entertainment Weekly