Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for The Red Tent

Monica L. McHam

Astounding. Even stripped of the religious and sociological baggage - this is a great book! One of the best I have read in years! Without "taking anything away" from the Old Testament account of Jacob's tribe, the story adds the rich, satisfying experience of the women of the time. In this story lives the strong, nurturing vibrant community of women, which many of us count as sorely missing in modern society. Although a novel (and clearly identified as such) the tale is founded in the same historical events as those accepted as true by many people. Truly a wonderful book.
Erika

It was a really good book that reaches out to family traditions.
Jenessa Grant

An important book. More than a mere fictional interpretation of the Bible, it shows how vital female relationships are, especially mother/daughter relationships. A good coming-of-age story as well. Reccomended as a Mother's Day gift!
Glynda Gros

This is a book that stays with one for a very long time. It is like no other I have every read. I formed an intimate relationship with the women in the book from the very beginning. It is on my list to re-read.
harsh

impressive
Chris

This is one book that will be passed on and on - as it has been in my circle of friends. It is a very special book for women - It has such insight and feeling. The Red Tent will be among my favorites and will definitely be read again and again. I thank the author for such a beautiful piece of art.
Shannon River

My favorite of all the many books I've read in the past five years.
Tiffany

This book gives us a view into the lives of otherwise historically neglected women.

• Book Jacket: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    by Olga Tokarczuk
    A subversive feminist noir mystery set in a remote Polish village, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of...
  • Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...
  • Book Jacket: The Liar
    The Liar
    by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
    The Liar is a book that will make its readers uncomfortable by design; set in modern-day Israel, it ...

The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste

"A brilliant novel, lyrically lifting history towards myth. It's also compulsively readable."
    —Salman Rushdie

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S