Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for The Red Tent

Irena

I'm really in this book and I'm trying to find out if somebody translated this book to Czech so I can give it to my mother.
Katie

I love this book and i don't think it should go unread by any woman. I'm not usually interested in these types of books, but it has become a definant favorite. i have to write a book review on it for global history, and if anybody has any suggestions or comments i would appreciate them.
jackie

This book was the single best thing i have ever read. I am writing my ENG 101 thesis paper on it...any comments would be wonderful!!
t

wow!
Britt

Anita Diamant is able to procure an image of Biblical times through a woman's eyes like no other. Her language reads seamlessly, and leaves no point uncovered. This book should not go unread by anyone. A remarkable work of art, and my favorite book!

After the introductions, which can always be a bit tedious, this book is incredibly engaging.
Ms. Diamonte artfully weaves intimate tales of the men and women of biblical times. But the focus is on the women while the men are only distractions.
Pure and simple relationships portrayed here in the voice of Dinah stirs longing in the reader for passion and connection in one's life.
By the close of the story of Dinah, one is saddened yet satisfied that it has come to the right end.
I was left wondering how the story would have come out had a single event in Dinah's life been different.
Fatima Thompson
anne

The prologue moved me deeply
This is not my usual choice, I happened across it at a duty free shop at an airport many years ago. I opened it and read the prologue and bawled my eyes out. I felt that I had found someone that been lost and without a voice for many, many lifetimes. It still moves me deeply, not being a religious person I do not know the Bible well and this for me was not about religion but a story of a woman lost to history with a story of her own to tell. Maybe it resonates how I have felt at times but more likely it reflects the experience of many women - lost to the bigger voices of men. I have not seen the film so don't know how it differs, my copy came into my hands a long time before that.
iminthetent

wOw
When I first laid my eyes on it, I thought, "Oh God. Another stupid feminism book." But, when I started reading it, I was so enticed I had to keep reading more. The graphic scenes are disturbing yet powerful. They made me feel something. Dinah's story is told in a truly spectacular way.

• Book Jacket: The Flight Portfolio
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Make Friends with the Dark
    How to Make Friends with the Dark
    by Kathleen Glasgow
    Don't go to bed angry; make up after fights; always say I love you – you don't know when ...
    Red Birds
    by Mohammed Hanif
    Mohmmed Hanif's Red Birds is part Catch-22, part Slaughterhouse-Five, part Kafka's The Castle, and ...
  • Book Jacket: Endeavour
    Endeavour
    by Peter Moore
    Miriam-Webster defines a biography as "a usually written history of a person's life." One might ...

The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin

A vivid novel about the intense rivalry between iconic fashion designers Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli.

The Volunteer
    by Jack Fairweather

The true story of one man, an underground army, and the secret mission to destroy Auschwitz from within.

Win The Guest Book

The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense."
—Entertainment Weekly