Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 52 reader reviews for The Red Tent

Irena

I'm really in this book and I'm trying to find out if somebody translated this book to Czech so I can give it to my mother.
Katie

I love this book and i don't think it should go unread by any woman. I'm not usually interested in these types of books, but it has become a definant favorite. i have to write a book review on it for global history, and if anybody has any suggestions or comments i would appreciate them.
jackie

This book was the single best thing i have ever read. I am writing my ENG 101 thesis paper on it...any comments would be wonderful!!
t

wow!
Britt

Anita Diamant is able to procure an image of Biblical times through a woman's eyes like no other. Her language reads seamlessly, and leaves no point uncovered. This book should not go unread by anyone. A remarkable work of art, and my favorite book!

After the introductions, which can always be a bit tedious, this book is incredibly engaging.
Ms. Diamonte artfully weaves intimate tales of the men and women of biblical times. But the focus is on the women while the men are only distractions.
Pure and simple relationships portrayed here in the voice of Dinah stirs longing in the reader for passion and connection in one's life.
By the close of the story of Dinah, one is saddened yet satisfied that it has come to the right end.
I was left wondering how the story would have come out had a single event in Dinah's life been different.
Fatima Thompson
anne

The prologue moved me deeply
This is not my usual choice, I happened across it at a duty free shop at an airport many years ago. I opened it and read the prologue and bawled my eyes out. I felt that I had found someone that been lost and without a voice for many, many lifetimes. It still moves me deeply, not being a religious person I do not know the Bible well and this for me was not about religion but a story of a woman lost to history with a story of her own to tell. Maybe it resonates how I have felt at times but more likely it reflects the experience of many women - lost to the bigger voices of men. I have not seen the film so don't know how it differs, my copy came into my hands a long time before that.
iminthetent

wOw
When I first laid my eyes on it, I thought, "Oh God. Another stupid feminism book." But, when I started reading it, I was so enticed I had to keep reading more. The graphic scenes are disturbing yet powerful. They made me feel something. Dinah's story is told in a truly spectacular way.

• Book Jacket: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    by Olga Tokarczuk
    A subversive feminist noir mystery set in a remote Polish village, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of...
  • Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...
  • Book Jacket: The Liar
    The Liar
    by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
    The Liar is a book that will make its readers uncomfortable by design; set in modern-day Israel, it ...

The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste

"A brilliant novel, lyrically lifting history towards myth. It's also compulsively readable."
    —Salman Rushdie

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S