Reader reviews and comments on The Notebook, plus links to write your own review.

The Notebook

by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Oct 1996, 214 pages
    Dec 1999, 226 pages

There are currently 123 reader reviews for The Notebook

Amelia (12/29/04)

After seeing the trailer for the movie based on this novel, I was intrigued enough to buy it when I saw it conveniently sitting by the check-out lane at Wal-Mart. The first and second paragraphs were decent: The third sentence was almost impressive. Its strength, though, was not enough to compensate for the overall awfulness of the book. The book, with it excessive and poorly written descriptions, seems like nothing more than a series of delays. Nicholas Sparks undoubtedly has an overly sentimental culmination he's striving to reach, but in between the beginning and the end there is nothing even remotely significant. I suffered through many pages dedicated to Allie's struggle of deciding which dress to wear. Do not read this book in search of such emotional satisfaction - there is none. Only the shallow and simplest of human emotions are explored.

Besides its triteness, The Notebook suffers from problems that have nothing to do with my opinion. I suppose Nicholas Sparks' ability to make people sob over cliché storylines is powerful enough to make that same audience ignorant of his grammatical incorrectness. Sparks continually changes tenses: not only within time periods or even narrators, but so close as within paragraphs and even sentences. It is one of the greenest mistakes writers make, and one that is usually remedied early on.

I was extremely disturbed to hear flattering reviews of this silly novel, not by the general public, but by evaluators such as The New Times. I am 17 years old and am genuinely afraid that my children may have to read this book in school. It is not exigent enough to be read by anyone. It is not to be taken seriously and I am actually shocked that people find it enjoyable at all. It is a miserably effortless read that is not challenging verbally, morally, or in the complexity of its characters. Read it, but only to realize what truly awful literature is
Mandy (12/27/04)

I loved this book.. it shows everlasting love and that you'll forget your first love....
Liz (12/23/04)

This book was actually somewhat disappointing for me because from the reviews that I had read I expected The Notebook to be better. The plot seemed somewhat cliched and something which irritated me was the author's constant use of "God he/she looked good". It was still a good read however and poignant at moments, but not enough to move tears to my eyes. Still, all in all, a very enjoyable novel able to be read at one setting.
kristen NY (12/05/04)

This book was amazing, I personally am in a relationship that started similar to the novels, and it gave me hope, and excitement for the future of love!
ruth c magadan (12/02/04)

the most poignant love stories that you'l ever read
Amy N (11/28/04)

I read this book while on an airplane to visit my best friend with my new boyfriend. My heart pounded and I cried as if this was my life. The writing in this book is excellent. The reader feels as though they are in the book. I loved this book. Excellent Excellent.
Amy (11/18/04)

This is the best love story ever....I cried my eyes out reading the book and watching the movie!
Misty (11/17/04)

I don't like to read much but this book is undoubtedly a brilliant book....... The book never lost my interest not even for a second
age-19

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Information is the currency of democracy

Y S M B, I'll S Y