Reader reviews and comments on The Notebook, plus links to write your own review.

The Notebook

There are currently 122 reader reviews for The Notebook

kin (01/26/05)

a good book
Sarah (01/12/05)

It is my favorite book by Nicholas Sparks! I also love the sequal The Wedding!
Amber (01/09/05)

This book was absoulty heart warming. Its inspiring too it teaches you never to give up on love and that you really dont ever forget about your first love. I have to say you've probably outdone yourself this time the book was awesome. I really hope you write more books like this one keep up the good work.
amanda (01/08/05)

One of the best books i have read!!
Jennelle Valentino (01/06/05)

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Well written and emphasized the meaning of true love.
Ashley (01/02/05)

One of the best stories I have ever read....The best love story by far
Shauhn (01/01/05)

Excellent. I loved, loved, loved it. It's has such a sad but romantic storyline.
Amelia (12/29/04)

After seeing the trailer for the movie based on this novel, I was intrigued enough to buy it when I saw it conveniently sitting by the check-out lane at Wal-Mart. The first and second paragraphs were decent: The third sentence was almost impressive. Its strength, though, was not enough to compensate for the overall awfulness of the book. The book, with it excessive and poorly written descriptions, seems like nothing more than a series of delays. Nicholas Sparks undoubtedly has an overly sentimental culmination he's striving to reach, but in between the beginning and the end there is nothing even remotely significant. I suffered through many pages dedicated to Allie's struggle of deciding which dress to wear. Do not read this book in search of such emotional satisfaction - there is none. Only the shallow and simplest of human emotions are explored.

Besides its triteness, The Notebook suffers from problems that have nothing to do with my opinion. I suppose Nicholas Sparks' ability to make people sob over cliché storylines is powerful enough to make that same audience ignorant of his grammatical incorrectness. Sparks continually changes tenses: not only within time periods or even narrators, but so close as within paragraphs and even sentences. It is one of the greenest mistakes writers make, and one that is usually remedied early on.

I was extremely disturbed to hear flattering reviews of this silly novel, not by the general public, but by evaluators such as The New Times. I am 17 years old and am genuinely afraid that my children may have to read this book in school. It is not exigent enough to be read by anyone. It is not to be taken seriously and I am actually shocked that people find it enjoyable at all. It is a miserably effortless read that is not challenging verbally, morally, or in the complexity of its characters. Read it, but only to realize what truly awful literature is

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review