MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Man Named Dave, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Named Dave

A Story of Triumph and Foregiveness

by Dave Pelzer

A Man Named Dave

Oct 1999, 284 pages
    Sep 2000, 304 pages

There are currently 282 reader reviews for A Man Named Dave

Gina (07/19/04)

I read the first three books last week while at the beach. They kept me so spellbound that I even read while my family and I were at the dog races in Daytona! I was not physically abused as a child but there was some mental/emotional abuse. (I was born in the late fifties) I just wanted to say that I think Dave's books certainly help people to go on with their life and quit feeling sorry for themselves for their parents mistakes. Wonderful job Dave! God Bless you!
Ashley (07/06/04)

A Man Named Dave is a great novel and I recommend all his books to those who are lost. I was beaten a bit as a child... not as bad as David and I have always been terrified that I would hurt my own child. Although I am confused about one thing in the book. In the first book David said that Kevin the youngest boy had bell palsy but then in A Man Named Dave it says that Stan was the slightly retarted child.
kendell (06/28/04)

The Lost Boy is truly an inspiring book but also very sad. It is about a little boy who has to deal with his abusive mother and brothers every day. His father tries to help but ends up drinking all the time to solve his problems. He is finally rescued from the home and sent to a foster home. It turns out to be a Cinderella story.
Brittney (06/14/04)

The lost boy is an inspiring book about a boy named dave that got abused by his mother so he ran away and had to go to foster homes and got in lots of trouble because he really didnt know better and so he then got blamed for steeling a school on fire and he didnt do it and so he had to go to "the Hill" a juvenille hall for something he didnt do , the then got out and he didnt have a foster home to go to and so he was kinda homless for a minute.he then found a home and broke up the home and now doesnt know what to do. This story makes me want to tell the world to get out of abuse asap and never deal with something that bad, PLUS ALWAYS BE A GOOD KID WHEN YOU ARE LIVING IN A FOSTER HOME UNLESS YOU DONT WANT A HOME AT ALL. I woul;d have to say the child called it was my favorite so far but you have to read the following books to see what happens next. I definalty reccomend this book to everyone.
Zal (06/14/04)

The Lost Boy was my first excellent book in my life, I have read a lot of a person find a courage but not like this before I was suprise that my friend would buy from me for $ 50.00 although it actualy cost is $18.04 and it was the last one sold in the shop I do not know what to said but I know u have able to manage which no one able too!!!
Ashleigh (06/10/04)

This book was amazing i had to find out more so hrer i am david pelzer ur are an inspiration thank you
Carissa (06/09/04)

Im 15 years old and I've never been through abuse such as Dave, but i really got attached to his books. I want to know more about what happened after "A Man Named Dave" These books aught to be read be everyone. All three made me cry. I hope they will teach parents about abuse and possibly stop child abuse altogether. Im sure Mr. Pelzer feels the same way.
Samantha (06/06/04)

I am 14 years old and this is what i thought of the book.It's the sadest book there is, reality hit me like a ton of bricks i dont know how dave survived that kind of treatment he was brave god really had a purpose for him to live he wanted dave to tell people how bad child abuse can get no matter how minor or how serious it is, no kid deserves to be treated like that kids are a special gift from god and should be treated it says in the bible sparre the rod spoil the child and thats what i truly belive and after i read the book i prayed no kid should be treated the way his mom treated him thats what i think about the book!!!

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun