Reader reviews and comments on A Man Named Dave, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Named Dave

Sep 2000, 304 pages

There are currently 282 reader reviews for A Man Named Dave

Kathy (01/01/07)

An Inspiration to those that have also survived Abuse
I read the book from the advice from a friend that knows of my childhood from the hands of an abusive mother.-- i must say, it was disturbing. But, what was VERY therapeutic to me was listening to one of his speeches and watching a video of his on one of his motivational speeches. Something hit me that I needed to hear, (years of counseling, psychiatrists, and psychologists never helped me) but hearing this from a survivor really sunk in, -- he was basically saying you have to drop what happened to you and move forward, stop living in the past, and I needed to hear that, instead of always trying to make sense of what happened to me or getting hurt again and angered again when i can't get my mother to account for what she did or apologize, in her twisted mind she sounds like his mother when he interviewed her, my mother brought up ONE bad thing with an excuse almost to take the focus of the other things (beatings, torture, starvation,etc).. and listening to him speak on how he has come to grips with that, has taken a huge load off of my shoulders, almost like I'm a new person now.
I'm forever grateful, wish i had read this book a few years ago when my friend brought it to my attention =(
JESSICA WYATT (10/17/06)

YOU TAUGHT ME.
I THINK THAT DAVE IS A GOOD MAN AND HE IS VERY LUCKY. HE GAVE IT HIS ALL WHICH IS REALLY COOL. EVEN THOUGH HE DONT KNOW IT HE HAS TAUGHT ME ALOT WITH OUT EVEN MEETING ME. I LOVE ALL HIS BOOKS. IT TAKES ME FOR EVER TO READ THEM THOUGH CAUSE I CRIED ALOT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DAVE. YOU ARE AN EXCELLENT FATHER AND HUMAN BEING AND AUTHOR.
chels (10/12/06)

All of Dave Pelzers books
All of Dave Pelzer's books are so amazing I cant even think of a word for them.They teach and inspire people they have inspired me to be in as many child help programs that i can.I would really love to be a foster parent one day. He is an amazing writer and i give him props for haveing the courage to write about his life and struggles as a child and teen.I will continue to read his books over and over and I am workin on bein a foster parent when I get older.Also ever sense I read his books I want to ba a social worker in the future.

xoxoxoxoxo,
Chels
Matthew (03/07/06)

The Lost Boy
It is America's Best Book Ever!!!
Ruthie (06/19/05)

Thank you so much for writing about your life. I've read all 4 books (Child Called It, The Lost Boy, Man Named Dave and How to Help Yourself) and I have to say that they are all great. After reading Child Called It, I try to embrace my kids with peace and love as much as possible. I'm 28 years old and single parent of two. Never in my 8 years of being a mother have I thought about doing harm to my kids in any way. Thank God for people like you that survive the worst and educate us. May God continue to Bless You and your Loved Ones.

P.S. Now I'm actually reading "A Brother's Journey" By Richard Pelzer. And am very sad that people get away with this kind of behavior.
Chanelle (02/28/05)

wow, this book ispired so much, it made me help others in the comunity, helping other children liek Dave himslelf that have gone threw a troubled life with there parents. These books made me realise how good of a life i have how much my parents love me and what it would be like to be Dave, this book was so emotional and excitng. i jsut love them thank you Dave.!
Scarlett (02/10/05)

All of David Pelzer's book are...beyond the greates book I've read, a book that you will love to read over and over again, a book that explains about a young boy who grew up with a belligerant mother, with abuses, violent attacks, unbelieable things that we today, still have. I look up to this man, a man who is unafraid of sharing his former life, a man who never gave up on hope.

Dave is such an insperation in many ways that i never ever thought i could be, these books had changed my life about kids who go throught this every day, with abusive mothers and father's. Now i would like to work and save these kids just like dave wanted to be saved. Since they cant save themselve's at a young age, and without hope, I'll do anything within my power to save them.

A big thank you, For you Dave,
For sharing your life, as some people wouldn't do..
From whicn your life, made unblinded us and see that we have the power to save them..

SO MUCH
MAY YOU NOW LIVE IN
PEACE....
Barbara (02/07/05)

WOW!!!
your book is the greatest beyond greatest
allthought i wanted cry my eyeballs out it was awesome.
UNBELIEVABLY Great to read i LOVED, I mean LOVED all three of the sequel.
thanks for writting it, it litterally changed my life.
and im only 16!!!!!!!

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All