MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Man Named Dave, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Named Dave

A Story of Triumph and Foregiveness

by Dave Pelzer

A Man Named Dave

Oct 1999, 284 pages
    Sep 2000, 304 pages

There are currently 282 reader reviews for A Man Named Dave

R.D. (10/27/03)

I was stunned, so stunned after reading all of your books. These compeling books open my eyes to the truth of child abuse. All I can say more is thank you Dave for your courage to relive the memories to write this ever-so tragic book because of what you've wrtten inspired me to become an activist. I am also 12 years old.
JAYE CLAYTON (09/30/03)

Hi, I thought this book was a great conclusion to the other two, but would be interested in Dave's life now as well. I am 28 and have read many a book since leaving school but none have ever touched me as much as this trilogy. Maybe because I have three children of my own, and could never think of hurting mine as his mother did him. Am so glad there are people out there that do try their best for these unfortunate children. All in all, three sad but great eye opening accounts of wickedness and triumph.
Dora Parada (09/29/03)

This book was one of the best books that I ever read. I feel sad that you David went thru suffering moments in your life. Keep your head up...I hear you.. you doing a great job. I'm 14 yrs old and I loved this book.
Katie Johnson (09/27/03)

This book was great. I loved it. It was easy to read and comperhend. This also reminded me of my life.
April Henry (09/25/03)

My cousin sister gave me the book, the moment I was reading I couldn't put the book down.I read it in one day. And I'm 15 years old. It was very sad and painful for u. keep your head up Dave Pelzer!
krystil (09/16/03)

i just got this book from the library for a book report and so far i think it is great and i feel really bad for what happen to him!!!!
Bonnie (09/03/03)

"Mother then ordered me to climb up on to the stove and lie on the flames so she could watch me burn."
i'm only 12 years old but after reading this book i was really touched, i'v always wanted to be a concillor but this makes me wanna work harder for it. After only reading about 10 pages was in tears, i was so hooked to these books i pushed myself to finish reading The boy called "It" and i read from 9 o'clock that night to 1o'clock that morning, on a school day. i cried so much sometime because i couldn't believe how cruel people can be and other times because this were finally going on track for once. God bless you, you've made me wanna be a foster parent when i'm old enough.
Amy (09/01/03)

I've never been so moved by a story as I was when I read the "A Child called It" series. I am only 15 and this book taught me how much I have truly taken advantage of in my short life. I already know when I grow up that I want to be a foster parent and hopefully be able to help children in the same way David was helped by his foster parents.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

by Simon Tolkien

• Book Jacket: A Question of Mercy
    A Question of Mercy
    by Elizabeth Cox
    Authors leave little gifts for readers, which seem to turn up at the exact right moment. Perhaps a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Terranauts
    The Terranauts
    by T.C. Boyle
    In an increasingly noisy and fractious world, the idea of "getting away from it all" holds ...
    The Gardens of Consolation
    by Parisa Reza
    The Gardens of Consolation introduces 12-year-old Talla, and her 20-year-old husband Sadar, as they ...

H W S W T Devil S H A L S